Wifi issue on one of my RPI3s [Resolved]

Ok so I went away for the day, came home and disconnected and disabled the wifi. Purged netplay. Ethernet only now. Confirmed in network adapter config tool through DietPi-launcher.

About 15 minutes of beautiful music, and then the transport error begins and the player starts its on/off routine. In other words, same as last night which, before tonight’s actions, both the wifi and Ethernet were seemingly active simultaneously – two different IP addresses on the network for the same MAC address.

Tonight, that variable is gone. No luck.

How can this be? JCR

Update: I manually rebooted (pulled the power) on the RPi3. It had rebooted through software and showed just the Ethernet active and connected. In any event, right now, I’m not getting transport errors – and I’m upsampling 24/44.1 to DSD128. I will report again.

Update to the update. Transport loses connection upon pressing play. On/off seen in Roon device list.

Oh well. Next?

Did you say that you had swapped a different Rpi board in that location? Have you also tried a different DAC / USB port? / USB Cable? or moved that whole failing setup lock stock and barrel to another location and see if it does the same thing there?

DietPi is currently designed to use either Ethernet or WiFi at any one time, not both.

Both can be enabled temporarily in dietpi-config to setup/switch to WiFi/Ethernet. However once completed, if you have a ethernet cable, you should then disable WiFi as network routing will be up the fritz.

Dan, thanks for the input on the wifi/ethernet. I do have the wifi disconnected and disabled so just the Ethernet is alive.

I am currently investigating the different USB ports. So far, only one will recognize the player. That said, I pulled my Audioquest Jitterbug out of the USB connection and have plugged the USB cable directly into the RPi3. It is working, right now anyway.

Yes, wizardofoz, this RPi3 in my den is the one that was working fine in my bedroom – and the former one from my den is working fine in my bedroom now.

I am wondering if it is the Jitterbug…we will see. JCR

Update: no guts, no glory. I disconnected and disabled the Ethernet after resetting the RPi3 for wifi. Upsampled DSD128 is playing just fine now. Looking like this wasn’t about wifi at all. The Jitterbug. Who’d have thought?

I’m going to find (or buy another) male to female USB 6 inch patch cable and see if the Jitterbug will work plugged into that. Perhaps the RPI3 USB ports just don’t like the Jitterbug (although I do have others around the house).

Update 2: using the patch cable with the Jitterbug doesn’t solve. Every time I plug through the Jitterbug, no connection. I also tried using an outboard powered a USB hub, thinking the Jitterbug is pulling too much current. No difference. Yet, every time I plug in without the Jitterbug, I’m getting a solid connection. Via wifi. I think this may be it, crew! Has anyone else reported issues with Audioquest Jitterbugs?

1 Like