WiFi Mesh, what to buy?

Hi All,

While reading some other threads, I got to a point where I understand I need to make some changes on my WiFi in order to solve a delay issue on my Audio Pro A10 when it is connected to roon. Seems WiFi Mesh devices are more suited for roon rather than the traditional WiFi repeater.

On my internal network I would like to start using Mac Address control but to do so the Mesh device should forward the MAC address of the linked device to the router and not generated one has my WiFi repeater does. Does anyone know of any good Mesh device that sends the linked device MAC address, to the router?

Many thanks in advance

Filipe

I’m no networking expert, but as I understand it, a MAC address is unique to the device on your network, and cannot be changed by a router, switch or WAP. Perhaps you mean IP address?
Either way, there are a few good WiFi devices around these days (although I would always recommend using wired Ethernet wherever possible for predictable, reliable performance at minimal cost). First, will you be able to run an Ethernet cable to each WAP and go wireless from there (preferable) or do you propose to use some them with a wireless connection back to your router?

Replaced Netgear R7800/EX7000/EX8000 with TP-Link Deco M9 Plus and couldn’t be happier :slight_smile:
recommended Deco P7 (mesh WiFi + Powerline ethernet) to a friend and he is an happy camper too

mind, though: you can only assign max 15 fixed IPs

After reading this short thread from someone like myself who also wants to make my Wi-Fi more robust still just as confused as ever :expressionless: . In a couple of weeks will be having Vodafone Gigabit 200Mbp internet connected and can expect to have problems with the wireless signal to my Bluesound endpoints!. In the past couple of days have been looking at reviews of various solutions including using various Mesh setups etc. Reading reviews on Amazon and other retail sites does not make my decision any easier. One review tells us it is the best thing since sliced bread and another says it’s pants, 5 star to 1 star. Netgear Orbi has caught my eye and on Amazon you can pay an extra £67.76 per unit for a professional installation. For people like me who are computer illiterate but completely baffled when we enter the world of routers and related products this may be the way to go.

Past few days have made enquiries with local IT companies regarding hard wiring my endpoints. After I tell them what I want doing I am then told they don’t do that even though it contradicts their advertisement. The job is probably to small for them to make it worthwhile?.

non-mesh wi-fi extenders do use “alias MAC addresses” so fixed IPs may not work (depending on which extender the device connects to: it doesn’t necessarily always connect to the same one)

One of the easiest systems to use is the BT Wholehome mesh system as it has very few options ! :slight_smile:
I use it with roon and it works really well. Easy to set up, the only “technical” bit you need to do is switch off wireless on your Vodafone router and plug one of the BT disks into that router with an ethernet cable.

I don’t know why people try to make things more complicated than they need to be when it comes to home networking. Some facts: any router will work out of the box (possible exception being the ISP settings), there’s nothing wrong with DHCP, fixed IP addressing doesn’t sound better, Roons auto-discovery works (on flat networks), a cable works better than WiFi, and there shouldn’t be a need to mess with settings you don’t understand.

Apologies for the rant, it’s not directed at anyone :innocent:

1 Like

Have been looking at the BT Wholesome mesh setup also during the past weeks also. It has just one ethernet connection so I assume can leave my Nucleus plugged into the Vodafone router without any ill effect ie, no dropouts and also sometimes at the moment will pause but will not restart by pressing play. Sorry if I sound a bit dumb :thinking:. One benefit of BT is it’s only £159.99 for a three pack a lot cheaper than other products.

Yes you can use the router for nucleus or if you have more wired devices buy a cheap network switch and plug that into the router and all the others into the switch. Keep asking questions, no harm in that!!

Thank you for that reply so food for thought.

Um. Maybe. I don’t know the Vodafone router, but my Virgin router disables the remaining Ethernet ports when switched to modem only mode; I think my old BT router did the same…

(Apologies if Ged knows for sure that the Vodafone router is different)

I don’t know about that behaviour of the virgin router. I think we may need a Google moment.

That’s correct. In modem mode the ports are disabled because the Virgin router is an ethernet bridge; another router is needed and this should be set the obtain IP address automatically on the WAN interface.

I just switched to Google Wifi mesh. I have 3 access points and I have 2 airplay devices (apple TVs), an Allo streamer, 2 sonos devices plus iphones, ipad- everything is wireless except a Mac Mini that is wired in running Roon.

I have had zero issues- very speedy and no dropouts when streaming. Very happy with my new setup.

100MB AT&T fiber -> AT&T modem -> Google Wifi -> ethernet switch -> mac mini

2 Likes

… or it might work perfectly with no issues!

I confess I started researching how I might resolve problems, but was pleased to find my Roon setup worked fine with everything connected wireless using the Virgin Hub 3.

I know many have a different experience, but I think I’d suggest waiting to see if you actually have a problem before going too far down the mesh WiFi route…

Hi All,

I can see we are going on a direction of installed devices and I and not to what Mesh devices have the ability to forward the MAC address to the router.

Probably a will refrase the question does any one know if Mesh devices forward the devices MAC or do they generate a Mac alias and then forward it to the router has a WiFi repeater do?

Many thanks

Filipe

Hi Terry_Fell1,

You probably already have all the tools you need, and probably the WiFi issue may be a setup issue rather than a hardware, I would try to chasing the hardware manufacturer for some support on the set up.

Regarding new ISP, There are some technics you can use to avoid changes on your home internet each time you change ISP. One of the most common is to have 2 routers, one is the ISP router that would work has a modem and the other one you you’ll buy, in it you would have all the connections and settings of your home.

Example of the setup:
ISP router -> home router -> devices in your home (Lan and WiFi)

This solution may be harder to setup in the beginning but has advantage in the long run.

Regarding hard wire all your end points, my take on it was to have my main system hard wire, and all the other are running in WiFi, because Bluetooth and Airpaly do limit the max resolution.

Hope this helps

Filipe

Eero system is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Stream everything in our home, and don’t even bother with Ethernet anymore. One Pro and 2 Beacons for 1800sf house plaster walls.

1 Like

At the moment I have a Netgear Nighthawk R700 router. Could I for example connect this to the supplied Vodafone router and use it only for my Nucleus and end points. Use the new supplied router to hard wire to my tv, ATV 4K, UHD player etc as they are at the moment form a TP-Link TL-SG105S 5-Port Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Switch.

What settings for example would need to be done to both routers to achieve this. Have set the Nighthawk to transmit on channel one to avoid clashing with nearby routers. Seems to work as now when someone logs onto their router do not get temporary dropouts as before.

Another system to consider. I am getting a lot of help here for which I am grateful.

Netgear Orbi is what I recommend. If you can use an Ethernet backbone, that is even better.

1 Like