WiFi Mesh, what to buy?

I would second this recommendation.

I don’t use it myself but I do manage a UK rural community wireless broadband network and this is a good solution in use by some of our users.

Hello,

I have deployed Ubiquiti (Unifi line) at home, but also in different places (my parents, friends, offices, …) and it is rock solid. You get a very robust network that you can extend easily and for the price it is difficult to find anything better.

You can have a look at those AP https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/ (some models support mesh natively)

For mesh, they also have specific devices https://unifi-mesh.ui.com/#products

Depending on your installation, you can configure eveything from your laptop or mobile device, or use a controller such as this one https://unifi-protect.ui.com/cloud-key-gen2 (also, you can run the controller on a computer if you don’t want to buy the hardware but for the price I would not bother too much if you don’t have any spare computer).

Never had any connectivity issue. Even my Ropieee on RPi is on Wifi

T.

I have looked into consumer mesh systems as well, but in the end I went for an Ubiquiti system. Their access points are enterprise grade, but priced reasonable. They have great switches as well and if you add a cloud key (I prefer the G2 plus version) you can manage and monitor everything 24/7, even add security camera’s to it…

I have an AC-AP-PRO and and a AC-AP-LR, 2 8 ports switches, a G2 cloudkey and an USG 4P, which is their router appliance that enables even more features. This in total is more expensive compared to an orbi or similar setup, but it is really modular and absolutely rock solid and highly configurable…

You don’t need the cloud key by the way, you can manage them from a pc or mac as well, but you don’t have the allways-on monitoring and data logging if you don’t leave the controller software running…

I have a wired ROCK, a wired PC, 3 wireless iOS controllers and a iPhone 5S + CCK + DF Red endpoint and a bunch of macbooks on it and it works like a charm. “handoff” from one access point to the next if you walk around in the house works awesome… I use a wired backbone, but the AP’s switch to mesh mode if the backbone should fail for some reason (for example if the switch one is connected to is being updated).

Highly recommended.

Set up a Netgear Orbi system this morning with a router and two satellites. Each satellite is positioned close to a Bluesound Node 2 and Pulse with my Nucleus connected to the Orbi router. So using this setup as my dedicated music mesh system if you like. All three Bluesound end points now show excellent signal so initial impressions are favourable. Before when using Netgear extenders the signal would degrade when a door was closed as they are 38mm. Now get excellent signal with doors closed. Hope I have put the poor connection problems to bed without resorting to hard wiring, Time will tell.

For the benefit of those on a budget, I installed six Tenda MW3 nodes around my parents’ property over the summer (including two in the kitchen providing handy Ethernet connections to a pair of BlueSound speakers) and have just ordered a Tenda MW6 system for myself. The MW3s are brilliant, and have been rock-solid, providing excellent signal strength in every room of a thick-walled, old property.

The MW3 nodes are priced at just over £20 each, and the more powerful, gigabit-capable MW6 are priced around £50 each. They’re also interoperable, and I’m planning on deploying the MW6 around my house, and then throwing in a couple of MW3 units to make sure that each Roon endpoint is connected to the same mesh via Ethernet. Obviously, an Ethernet backbone would be best, but I can’t do that just yet.

Anyone looking for a cheap mesh system: try the Tendas!

The thing with Orbi’s is they have a really high output on their broadcast antenna’s, so they usually show really high reception on devices connected to them. What people tend to forget is that the output is not the only thing, your mobile device needs to be able to broadcast its own signal back as well and it usually has much less power available to reach the AP. Hence sub-optimal reception with “full bars” is a thing on Orbi’s, and any other high powered devices…

Stay near to them and the problem isn’t there, you just end up with much higher levels of Microwave radiation in your living space than necessary… I prefer to dial down the AP’s broadcast power to the least possible amount required functionally…

Proper “Long Range” AP’s like the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR don’t broadcast with higher power, they have more advanced antenna’s to be able to receive weaker signals better…

Ive had a google Wifi mesh system set up now for a few months and I have to say, it has been rock solid.

I wanted to keep all my audio visual gear hardwired to the network in one room which turned out to be our converted garage so the rest of the house suffered from poor WiFi connection. We have a sonos play 1 in each of our bedrooms and the connection was always so frustratingly fragile.

Once I installed the three google WiFi points though, all my problems were solved, I’m achieving 475mb broadband download speeds and 45mb upload speeds. I get 500mb fiber broadband from virgin so I’m obviously delighted. The range extends out to the boundaries of our garden.

The app is flawless, speedy and has more functionality than I’ll ever care to know about. Set up was a breeze and I’m really no expert, I was in fact, dreading having to set the system up but I’m glad now I can heartily recommend it to anyone thinking of setting up a mesh network in their home.

1 Like

Agreed
Love mine

The other thing with Orbi is that it isn’t a true mesh system as far as I’m aware. I believe the nodes all talk back centrally to the router rather than too each other; that might be ok in some situations however, in larger houses or those with a heavily attenuated signal it might struggle more than a pure mesh system. I’m currently holding out for a good wifi 6 Mesh system, as they aren’t too far off - no, I don’t have anything wifi 6 enabled yet, but each mesh node will be, and I’m hoping that will improve the speed of communication between a number of different nodes.

You are correct. Orbi uses either wireless or (preferably) wired “backhaul” from the satellite units to the central unit. The satellites do not talk to each other, which is the essence of a “mesh” unit. It’s basically 1 router with 2 extra AP’s that have seamless handover, but not true meshing.

I’d love a wired backhaul, but there’s no immediately obvious and easy way to run Cat 6 through the house without ripping up carpets, walls etc. I’ve considered the Devolo Magic 2 with the powerline backhaul, but as our home has been extended, I’m not sure they will work that well across the different circuits we have in different parts of the house.

Plus one for Netgear Orbi. It is rock solid and I have proven it to be idiot-proof in set-up and operation. More importantly my house is long and thin with 14” thick stone walls. I have only 2 Orbi units and have never missed a beat.

I had a Netgear Orbi mesh system. Worked well for quite some time, then I had some issues. In a fit of frustration I bought an Eero mesh system. Has been flawless for well over 1 yr. Every corner of the house and a lot of the yard has great wifi. My Blusound speakers work great on this system.

+1 for ubiquiti

Sadly today my Nucleus would not recognise my Bluesound Node 2i. It was showing The Node 2 Airplay briefly but then disappeared again. Then had problems with the satellites disconnecting from the router randomly. After several attempts to get things up and running decided enough was enough so returned for a refund. Back to using Netgear Extenders, Not ideal but works. Did not think it would be long before things went Tits up and I was right, Oh well that’s life :expressionless::smiley::frowning_face::woozy_face::grinning::thinking::smile:.

I have the Deco M5. It works just fine. I did have a problem with my firewall software using Avast on Windows 10, but Roon works just fine now I’ve fixed that.