WiFi Router Recommendations?

People who are obviously more knowledgeable than me advise here against the Edge router.

I won’t enter into a dispute with them, just want to share my very limited experience that goes against such advice.

I setup my Edgerouter X two days ago, it took me about 20 minutes to do the whole network swap from the old ISP router to the Edgrouter and one Unifi AC-lite AP, including configuration of router and AP.
I have zero networking experience or background - I followed the very simple instructions from two youtube videos, this one for the Edge router:

and this one for the AP

Both the router and the AP have IOs apps that allow the basic network configuration that I need in my simple home network.

I did look at all the Ubiquity products; I’m convinced that the Unifi range is great and possibly so is the Amplifi one, even though there were some voices strongly advising against it… but they are more expensive.
I choose the cheapest setup possible that seemed feasible for me, without switches or network controller. I have just a router and two AP’s; one AP is powered by the router’s PoE port, the other will get its own PoE injector. So far so good.

@wklie I don’t even know what multicast is, have not attempted to configure the edgerouter for it, but Roon works fine on my network, streaming to all endpoints without issues.

Here’s the thread I started about this project
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ubiquity-setup-for-roon-wifi-streaming

1 Like