WiFi to Ethernet -WOW!

I think nothing is as good as a direct ethernet connection.

I only use WiFi for both my Roon Core and all my endpoints. I never have any issues, zero dropouts, although I often stream high res music. BTW, I only have a Fritzbox 7590, nothing fancy, no mesh system, no additional access points. Guess I’m just lucky…

2 Likes

Are you in a rural location or far away from other properties that every one elses WiFi does not clash. I have about 25 other houses competing wifi access points. It amazes me mine works as well as it does considering I am sharing airtime with that many other users.

1 Like

Yes, I live in a rural area where the distance between one house and the next is usually about 15 to 20 metres (sometimes even more) because every house here has a big garden etc.

1 Like

Your lucky then and is why it works so well for you. Urban or suburban as I am not great but I get surprisingly good results considering but that has required planning and resources to achieve a stable and speedy WiFi setup. But I would still not run WiFi my core , at certain times of the day I can see WiFi performance drop significantly and the airtime on one or two access points becomes very congested. This is what causes most problems for streaming not necessarily bandwidth or speed.

1 Like

Ironically, I’d already (years ago) run an ethernet connection to the kitchen. Alas, that wall jack was on the opposite side of the room from my Roon endpoint.

I hope your son-in-law is running multiple ethernet cables to (different parts of) every room in the house.

This thread makes me happy.

When I built my house 21 years ago, I had coax run to every room. In a couple rooms I had coax run to two opposite walls, not knowing how we would arrange the furniture. I only wish it was ethernet instead of coax.

Same here. Thing is though, it’s very easy to pull ethernet cable through the preflex tube using the old coax as a cable puller. Provided that your cables run through a preflex of course.

No tubes in my house. It’s coax stapled to 2X4’s. They all run from a common point on the outside wall of my house where the cable TV box was.

Ethernet-over-Coax?

I actually thought about that before I paid $200 to have an ethernet cable pulled. I would just have to go outside and identify which two of the 8 coax cables to connect together. Might try that sometime in the future if I need wired Roon somewhere else.

These work beautifully. This house has coax to every room from a central box in the garage where the outside Comcast coax comes in. We don’t care for cable TV, so the Comcast coax goes just to a cable modem, which connects to our own router (I don’t trust ISP routers), then one MoCA connects the router to a splitter that terminates several coax runs with MoCAs at their other ends. Had to trace the coax runs using a coax tester, and get the right splitters, but it all works very well.

We have now a 2nd home that also has coax throughout, but I’ve not had time to figure it out yet, and fortunately WiFi is working well enough between the core and the endpoints.

1 Like

I had Eero, which I got when I replaced the rented ISP modem with my own Arris. Eero was spotty. One day when I had a guy at my home to install a Weboost cell amplifier, he talked me into skipping the Weboost, and replacing the Eero with Google Nest Mesh. Definitely an improvement. I returned the Eero and the Weboost. The tech sold me the Google system, so he still made a few buck off of me despite talking me out of doing what I’d hired him to do in the first place.

1 Like

I have never had any of these issues streaming to my Raspberry Pi 4 (or Bluesound Node 2 when I had it). Both totally rock solid performance via WiFi.

In a rare occasion, maybe once every 3 to 4 months, I’ll get a pop-up in Roon saying that Tidal or Qobuz is taking longer than normal to load. When that happens, I just reboot the router and everything is fine again. But I’ve always been in the habit of rebooting the router every several months anyway, so no big deal to me.

1 Like

Some people have no problem with WIFI. For others, it is not usable. I had nothing but problems trying to use a WIFI connected Roon core. An ethernet connection solved that.

3 Likes

Most of the problems I read about are problems with the internal network, not with the roon application itself.

3 Likes

many routers can be restarted cyclically. in case your router has this option you can choose a time where you usually don‘t need it and restart it automatically.

1 Like

My router does have this feature. For some reason, I just never enabled it and set it up. I should probably do that.

About one year ago, I ran CAT7 to everything that has an RJ45 jack. I spent two weeks in the attic, but the end results are well worth the labor. Monoprice had 100’ CAT7 in-wall Ethernet cables for $22 each. Enjoy your Ethernet!