Wiim Mini streamer

Not to be confused with Wii mini!

2 Likes

It looks like a great replacement for my old Apple TV version three.

Does have a lot of options

It says Roon friendly what does this mean? Does Roon recognize this as a device?

1 Like

Means Airplay 2 support I think…

3 Likes

New pro version about to drop. Added Chromecast if it uses the proper hires flag it might mean hires for Roon, unlikely as only the Google Audio dongle seems to have ever bothered with this yet Roon insist on it to support hires over CC annoyingly.

1 Like

There are many streamers newer than the very old hardware of the Chromecast Audio dongle, that are supporting up to 24/96kHz with Chromecast input these days.

Tech has moved quickly.

Loving my WiiM Mini with Amazon Music UHD bit perfect casting and Tidal Connect, both gapless playback.

Roon will probably get added, it’s easy compared to the other stuff WiiM Mini has added.

1 Like

I was referring to in Roon. Roon will only allow hires for CC if the device advertises itself using this hires audio flag. If they don’t which all the ones I have don’t then your limited to 48/24. I have two devices both capable of 96/24 via CC Roon downsamples they added something to their implementation that others seem not to bother about.

Ok. I think they said Roon is on their roadmap anyway - in which case it’ll be RAAT and up to 24/192 which WiiM Mini supports

2 Likes

That’s perfect then if they do.

Just bought one for an application where I don’t care too much whether it supports super hi res… but do you think that the current model will update via OTA firmware upgrade to RAAT? Do they have a track record of updating existing hardware to new protocols and formats?

It’s on their roadmap to support Roon Ready:

https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap

From my experience with the WiiM Mini, I think it will be fulfilled :slight_smile:

WiiM Pro unit coming out soon as well:

It’s a great streamer and super cheap. The app is great as well.

:slight_smile:

Updates to be released by 12/30
New features:

• Roon Ready Beta
  • MQA public release
  • Move the active playback among multiple devices. Good for TIDAL, Qobuz, Amazon Music.
3 Likes

I love to see folks who have the guts to put that much of their public roadmap on the line. Not saying I disagree with Roon’s philosophy. But Wiim is making commitments, and they’re sticking a lot (but not all) of them. Love it.
https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap.html

2 Likes

I just snagged one of these (Wiim) as a part of a bundle with a good reduced price on 11.11 so I have yet to hook it up and try it but this is promising.

1 Like

It’s a great solution if you want an app that supports other music streaming services other than Tidal/Quobuz along with Roon. I really like the app itself, the sound quality is excellent, and its super affordable as a (soon) Roon Ready endpoint. Works great with Amazon Music (native), and looking forward to SiriusXM integration which is on their roadmap (they just completed Pandora integration and surprisingly it sounds really great).

1 Like

My RPI4 just died and I am looking for a replacement. The Wiim Pro looks like a solution after it becomes Roon Ready. Finding a replacement RPI today has proven to be a fruitless and expensive endeavor.

In the meantime I’ll break out the spare laptop, load up some tunes to that unit’s HD and connect directly to my DAC as I wait for the Wiim Pro Roon update.

The Wiim mini seems like it’s available for [$80 frequently] $85 with Prime coupon right now, and even if it’s not Roon ready, via Airplay over toslink it’s pretty good. If you have a very nice system you’ll be a little grossed out by the teensy little puck, but it’s a great stopgap. And it should become Roon ready via an OTA update before too long. Even if not it’s the simplest thing anyone can do and I highly recommend having one around for a secondary system.

1 Like

Wiim Pro has 192/24 Chromecast Audio

Doesnt mention anything about CC being 192/24 at all thats just the device can receive up to that. Means nothing without proper context and CC only supports upto 96/24 period. Unless they use the proper CC highres flag Roon will only send 48/24 regardless, My Atom is CC 96/24 capable but Roon send 48/24 max to it.