Will the gear I have work for HQ Player in Roon?

If you want to use Windows with HQP Desktop then obviously that machine won’t get a new IP address just by installing HQP Desktop

But it might if you run HQP OS on USB stick. It boots a custom Linux OS. You can’t run Windows simultaneously. It wont do anything to your Windows install as Michael mentioned earlier

1 Like

I m obviously missing something, I set hqplayer as audio zone in Roon and when i hit play it shows as playing and the signal path looks fine but I get no sound out of my system.
Now also when I look in hq player settings it does not show my dac at all so I cannot select it, I assume that is the problem.

Went through similar in another thread.

We went in circles before asking for overall system layout which would have solved the issue earlier

So can you detail your system config

What machine is connected to what, is it USB or ethernet , what is in same room or different room

Sure!

The win10 pc I installed hqplayer on is upstairs connected to router by Ethernet.
Not connected to anything else at all.

In my music room downstairs is a unmanaged switch directly connected by cat6 to the router upstairs.
This connects by Ethernet to the Antipodes Edge which is streamer, Roon core and renderer.
This is connected to my Mark Levinson 585 internal dac by both usb and spdif, simply because I am still continually comparing the two.
The 585 dac is limited to 24/192, which is exactly how I have Roon up sampling to and works perfectly on both inputs from the Antipodes.
This is screenshot of the hqplayer signal path just in case.

1 Like

And picture of signal path playing via Roon with usb selected as audio zone

1 Like

Ok thanks, this is very similar to this other thread yesterday

Getting HQPlayer to Output to DAC - #21 by dabassgoesboomboom

HQPlayer can’t play to Roon endpoints. It uses it’s own NAA protocol.

A quick Google shows maybe at some point Antipodes supported NAA but those web pages don’t work anymore

So you will need to test with a different endpoint.

Easiest is if you have a Raspberry Pi4 - burn NAA OS to microSD, link below. Connect the RPi4 to your USB DAC.

Then HQPlayer will “see” and communicate with RPi4 NAA and your DAC.

Index of /bins/naa/images/

Since your HQPlayer is in a different room obviously you can’t connect a USB cable direct to your DAC.

That’s why that other thread went in circles for a few days - we didn’t know DAC and server were different rooms and endpoint only supported Roon, not HQPlayer

Well that’s saved me a lot of aggravation….mucho gracias!

Part of the reason for getting the Antipodes was to eliminate lots of boxes and cables which it has done spectacularly well.

If there is no way to use hqplayer with what I have then it’s a non starter and this was very worthwhile and all the help is very much appreciated indeed.
But I really don’t want to add anything else if can’t get it to work with the Antipodes.

I will email antipodes later to see what they have to say about hqplayer native support.

Amazing what you can learn by reading the manual…….:sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice, i only did a quick Google. I never used Antipodes.

I’m not sure if that’s an old manual though (related to my screenshot above from my quick Google which leads to dead end) or current manual

Definitely email Antipodes for the latest info about NAA support though.

1 Like

Well I added the app to the antipodes and rebooted it.
Now have to scurry up the stairs and see if hqplayer can now see my dac via the antipodes.
Fingers crossed……

1 Like

After Antipodes has properly booted you might need to close HQPlayer and re-open , so it can ‘see’ your endpoint and DAC on loading

1 Like

I shut everything down and restarted but still it cannot see my endpoint and dac.
I even removed hqplayer from roon and reinstalled but no go
it might be an old version of NAA, it said 3.5.6.
I will email Antipodes and see what insight they might have

Under ‘Output devices backend’ what options do you seen?

Can you share a screenshot?

You will need to see your DAC there and select it.

Just got off online chat with Antipodes and its nogo ever on my older unit.
they stopped support for HQPlayer quite a while back but their brand new players at 10k plus do support it…
the Pi4 is looking better…

Cool

RPi4 is easy and great solution

If you like it you can get fancier Sonore Rendu’s for example

and thats where I knew I was in trouble…lol
All I see are wasapi and asio, no alsa.
so no dac option, just local to the pc endpoints like internal speakers.
so i am sure it would work fine on the pc…lol

had both the micro and ultra rendus in the past.
maybe i could use a pi4 via usb into the 585 and keep spdif from the Edge into the 585.
decisions, decisions

I had the Rendus too and now use RPi4 and UpBoard Gateway endpoints

I gave the Rendus to my dad to use at his place - they still work really well but I don’t feel any loss.

What I like about NAA OS on a USB stick/microSD card is it is the most optimised software for HQP, made only to perform as NAA and nothing else. It’s Jussi’s full creation so you can’t get better optimisation.

And if you want both Roon and HQPlayer support you can load RoPieee XL on RPi4, which supports both RoonBridge and NAA

2 Likes

Note for any fellow noobs thinking of using HQP OS on a USB stick, it will only run for 30 minutes until licensed according to signalyst.com. Could someone please point me to the licensing instructions?

Note! HQPlayer Embedded operates without license key in trial mode for 30 minutes at a time and then needs to be restarted to continue!