Will the gear I have work for HQ Player in Roon?

Can you get it running. Sure. Depending on the upsampling and the chosen modulators, you might need a beefier computer. What upsampling are you thinking about doing?

It seems for now at least that HQ player will have to go on the back burner.
Unless I buy another additional streamer like a rpi4 or similar which I really don’t want to do.

The idea of the Antipodes was to have a true all in one and in that respect it is working to perfection.

It could be combo of the Antipodes and the ml585 internal DAC causing a road block.

Although once Antipodes support said this particular unit would not work with NAA any longer I kind of resigned myself to it not happening.

Many thanks to all who contributed and tried to get me on the map.

Equipment was against me after all it appears.

That’s bad news especially if you had that in mind when you purchased it.

Though I think every audiophile tinkerer should have a box full of Pi’s and associated kit for when we got to tinker.

1 Like

No I did not have HQ player in mind at time of purchase.
And to be fair I am shocked at just how well this baby Antipodes has worked so far considering it was released as just a player.
I’m using it to stream, Roon Core and renderer.

So no quarrels at all truly.

Pretty sure that a later bigger model would cut the mustard but I may just hang fire for a while.
Or buy a rpi4…:laughing:

1 Like

Fair enough then.
I spent about a year reading about HQP on various thread’s before I had to have a look at it purely out of curiosity (probably like you)

1 Like

Yep.
I probably should have got curious sooner, while I still had the iFi Zen Stream here!
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I believe Antipodes is developing a new software release, but am surprised that they say HQP Embedded no longer works on the current software. If your Antipodes server has Software Version 2.7 installed you should be able to install HQPlayer Embedded and Version 4.18.1 will be installed. As noted, this is a demo version and must be restarted every 30 minutes.

There are detailed instructions for using HQPlayer Embedded with Roon starting here:

https://antipodes.audio/amsv2-guide/?page=69

1 Like

Please make sure computer where you have HQPlayer running doesn’t have more than one active network interface.

The HQ Embedded software has been removed from Antipodes in expectation of the new updates.
All that is left is HQ NAA which Jussi thinks should work still even though older but I cannot seem to get it to see the dac through the Antipodes.

Not quite sure exactly what you mean by this?
I installed on my Acer desktop which only has a Roon Remote and normal Office suite type tools on it.
Its a very spartan setup, thats why I thought it would have enough horses for this application.

Go to Windows Control Panel → Network → Manage Network Interfaces. Does it have more than one network interface shown? Antipodes has NAA software module enabled and is on the same network where the network interface of your Acer desktop is connected?

Can you describe your network layout?

OK, well they know better than me.

But I was just able to reinstall it from Software Manager/Available Apps:

Just the one network and everything is on the same network and everything can be seen from this acer pc.
Yes the NAA module was enabled when I was trying.

network is very simple and its all wired.
Acer pc is upstairs directly connected to router 2 feet away.
a 75ft cat 6 cable connects router to an unmanaged switch down in my music room.
this connects to the Antipodes directly.

From my Edge this is all I can install, the HQplayer NAA.
The only other option it shows me under available apps is HQplayer server, which is not possible to install.

This should work just fine if

1. Your DAC is up and running with USB input selected when you power up your NAA
  2. NAA software module is actually running on the Antipodes and nothing else there is keeping DAC busy
  3. You select either “Network Audio” or “Network Audio IPv6” backend in HQPlayer settings and then open the Devices list - your NAA + DAC combo should appear there

If NAA is found, but there are no accessible audio devices behind it (due to audio devices being busy), nothing will be shown for that NAA.

I will give it another try in a short while, it’s possible USB might not have been selected on the DAC at time of starting NAA?.
Will report back.
Many thanks @jussi_laako !

I see that your Antipodes software is Version 2.5 whereas mine has been updated to Version 2.7, which has been around for a while. That is possibly why HQPlayer Embedded will not install on your Edge.

That is possible but also there is no newer option available either, says 2.5 is up to date.
But remember this is a pretty old and relatively cheap Edge unit.
Was really a player and meant to go with the Core as duo streamer,core,player combo.

So to even do what it can so far is pretty impressive.

Makes me wonder how much better say the new s40 might be…

The Edge, although an older server, will run Software Version 2.7. However it may be that Antipodes no longer makes that upgrade available in view of the impending new software.

1 Like

I had progress last night but no success, HQplayer can see the Antipodes but no DAC past it.
Not sure why as there should have been nothing else calling on the DAC.
However I have a Topping DAC arriving tomorrow for another reason and room but I can try it out and see if that gives a different result to the onboard DAC of the Mark Levinson 585.