Will there be a Roon 1.9

This. ^^

Seriously.

1 Like

Hear, hear. There is far too much complaining about functionality here.
Never had them. Roon gives me everything i wanted, but mobile service.
I expect them to work at it and give it to me when ready.
They did that with all other issues. Dutch saying: The ‘best’ captains stand ashore.
Please keep up the good work.

2 Likes

My understanding is this is what the bug fixes/updates are doing.

Unfortunately you can’t have it both ways.

If you read the Release Notes on the “rapid fire releases” it is mostly, if not exclusively, Bug Fixes. The process of saving up bug fixes for a BIG release will get the response that they are not being addressed. Releasing them every week as they are mopped up get moans that its too often.

There are 2 distinct methodologies in app development , these are the examples. Roon have recently changed to a little and often cycle rather than every 3-6 months. Splitting fixes from Feature releases.

Unfortunately dealing with such a diverse set of equipment out there sometimes means that fixing a bug exposes another, hence the recent 3 releases in short succession to fix what the release had unfixed in specific cases.

Simply do you want bug fixes to “saved up” and released along with “Roon Mobile” as a Xmas present or do you want “that niggly bug you suffer from” fixed and out there PDQ ? Let Roon know , I suspect they feel the user base wants the latter

Just my (Retired Developer) 2p.

Its software development , the joy of being on the cutting edge . Do you use Windows , how often do MS do a update ?

7 Likes

Well they need to fix the bugs they keep adding. Scroll bars missing in the UI is one of the new ones thats been around nearly 2 months, its core functionality to be able configure endpoints, yes you can work round it, but really should I have to and I cant remove this remote control device as the x to remove it is no longer visible in the broken UI. Yes I have a ticket, no feedback since I posted it and they admitted its a bug.

This is my issue with the new fast release programme, QC appears to be out of the window. More haste less speed please.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. The quick turnaround bug fix approach tends to negate extensive alpha and beta testing. The tendency is to assume the changes that you have made have no holistic impact. Often this is not the case

Security updates, when they come out. Feature Updates, never, my Windows doesn’t do Feature Updates. :wink:

@Ruby what is sold everywhere today as a security update is always also an open or hidden bug fix (legacy) and even Microsoft has recognized that it has to change something in its update policy. It is still experimented which way is more satisfactory for customers.

1 Like

My experience with Roon over the last year has been pretty great overall. I have little to complain about, outside of the occasional iPad app crashing/freezing and extremely rare circumstances where playback will randomly stop. I add to my library very frequently and it has been an almost flawless experience.

2 Likes

Everything works well here. 500 Mb Ethernet wired into an eero router and then to an 8 Switch and out to Nucleus and a dCS Bartok. Knock on wood. That said, after reading this blog for some months, if Roon could do something to make the whole process more user friendly to all the various internet connections around the world, they would seem to have eliminated a very high percentage of the issues folks complain about here.