Will this work, or am I oversimplifying?

I have Roon in every room in the flat except the bathroom. I’m looking for an inexpensive way to add Roon, so I can’t rewire everything and add specially installed water-proof power supplies etc. The best thing to do would be to run a small, simple amp in another room and then run speaker wire into the bathroom as it would be safer.

So I already have a spare Raspberry Pi lying around and I’m looking to add a simple DAC/amp and a couple of tiny speakers in an unobtrusive place.

Am I correct in thinking that if I just add something like this to the Raspberry Pi and installed Ropieee or DietPi, I’d effectively have a Roon Ready endpoint amplifier which just needs some speaker cable and a couple of speakers? It’s a RAAT capable solution right? Or have I overlooked something?

Make sure you have a GIF socket to plug into. I had a friend in high school who got electrocuted as a lifeguard when he picked up a microphone. My brother-in-law got electrocuted washing his car when he turned on a vacuum cleaner. Water and electricity don’t mix well.

Sorry James, what is a gif socket please? Google just throws up a million unfunny gifs of people getting shocked

It’s a grounded electrical socket, usually found in bathrooms and kitchens. It has an easy to trip circuit breaker in case it gets shorted out.

Gotcha. The Pi/amp combo will actually be in the kitchen using a socket from there and only the speaker cable will be running through the drywall and into the bathroom in an area away from water. Cheers for the advice

GFCI socket…

1 Like

Yes, although it really is very low power! I’d probably go for a more beefy HAT if it were me. Another option is just to use a Bluetooth waterproof speaker (e.g. UE Roll 2) with your phone and Roon (or an old phone and Roon).

I don’t know what SQ you want in the bathroom, but the Google Home Mini is an all-in-one solution – streamer, DAC, amp, and speaker – for a very low price, particularly on sale. It works with Roon. Two of them can be paired for stereo output. Voice commands can pause playback, skip songs, adjust volume (but not select music).

Not RAAT, though. Roon uses the Chromecast protocols to talk to it.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Every other item is RAAT so I would be looking at sticking with that for grouping purposes - appreciate the feedback :+1:

For RAAT a RPi is perfect with Ropieee and a HAT that can have speakers connected…I use the IQAudIO digiAMP+ hats in my place for dining room, bedroom and bathroom setups.

with RopieeeXL you also can use without Roon via DNLA, Airplay and Spotify too.

1 Like

Great to hear. I have two set up already (one feeding an AV receiver and another feeding a Topping DX7s) and one is running DietPi and the other has Ropieee, but it was just the Amp HAT I was trying to learn about, good to have it confirmed. The Pi and Ropieee are stable as anything, truly a little marvel IMO. Thanks again all :smiley: