Windows 10 Assigned Access

Hi,

I’m using a surface pro 4 as Roon controller. I bought the fanless version - on offer for £629 - after reading recommendations on the forum. It works really well.

I wanted to set up a guest account which just ran Roon and didn’t alow the user to access anything else. Looks like the best way to do this is using ‘Assigned Access’ (using Kiosk mode involves locking down lots of other thinks). When I try to do this the list of apps which can be assigned does not include Roon. I think that this might be because Roon for Windows is not what Microsoft call a ‘Modern App’.

I can download tools from Microsoft to convert an exe file into a ‘modern app’ but I wonder if this means that Roon software updates might be a problem?

Any suggestions?

Mike

Hi MIke,

I’m not familiar with Assigned Access, I’ll have to read up on it.

However, Roon does not work well being running from other Windows accounts (imho it should, but there are pros and cons to this that have been explain to me by Roon).

I would recommend installing Roon (as a remote) again for that “locked down” guest user account.

[quote=“Mike_Treadaway, post:1, topic:14133”]
I can download tools from Microsoft to convert an exe file into a ‘modern app’ but I wonder if this means that Roon software updates might be a problem?
[/quote]Modifying binaries, scary stuff, I think we need @Brian or @Danny to comment on that.

Regards,
Carl

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply.

I installed Roon separsately for each user account and it works fine when logged in under the Guest account - the problem is that, when I try to set ‘Assigned Access’ the list of apps available doesn’t include Roon.

Yes - the thought of modifying binaries is scary - I don’t want to try it without getting some advice - particularly since my knowledge of Windows 10 is bit hazy - I last used windows seriously when it was Windows 7.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

You can’t find Roon on the list because, unfortunately Roon is not, as it should be, installed in Program Files, but in the User’s AppData Local.

It is also the reason why you can’t backup directly the software/user’s library with standard Windows board back up tools.

Maybe it will help you:

Set up a kiosk on Windows 10

Shell Launcher

Regards,
Cas