Windows 10 - Missing Audio After WOL

Hi @support,

I have exactly the same problem on a Windows 10 Enterprise Roon Server installation. The computer is configured to wake from LAN without using the magic packet, and it wakes up when starting back the Roon Remote app on iPadOS 14.1. Like mentioned above, it is possible to browse all the music, all the settings, but indeed get the message that there are no Audio Devices.

What is strange though, also the iPad Audio Endpoint itself is not there anymore, so somehow it is the Roon Server not able to stream anymore to any endpoints? It has nothing to do directly with not having audio device on the Roon Server itself, but basically anywhere in the network? I have no idea how Roon streams audio to the endpoints, but if uPnP is involved, maybe this could be the problem, no idea?

And yes, the moment you touch the mouse connected to the Roon server for 1 mm, the Roon Remote immediately shows back the audio devices!

Roon Server 1.7 (build 667), connected through WiFi to Apple Time Capsule AC access point (similar to Airport Extreme AC).

Note:
Reading the below thread makes me suspect that this was the same problem, most probably that computer was going to sleep over night, and by setting the power options to maximum all the time, it “fixed” or hided the problem.
No Audio Devices - Devices get lost over Night

Regards,
Ignace.

Hi @Ignace,

I’ve split your post into it’s own thread since you are running Windows here when the previous reports were concerning MacOS.

Are the audio devices only missing on the iPad or when you use the Core UI as well?

What happens if you wake it up from sleep via the physical button, does the same behavior occur or only on WOL?

Hi @noris,

On the iPad inside the Roon Remote app, all audio devices are missing. So normally the bar on the bottom where you see what is playing and where you can select your output device, this is all empty and saying there are no audio devices. Also when you go to the settings inside the app, under audio, there is nothing there anymore; meaning the iPad itself, the audio device on the server where Roon Core is running, but also other network devices like Airplay devices which I didn’t enable but are always listed there, are all gone. Basically it is all empty there. And the moment you touch the mouse on the server, and the screen awakes, then everything comes back. So basically, it’s like part of the Roon Server is not running (audio devices, endpoints), while the library browser and all other settings are working properly?

If you wake the server by means of the physical button, then it works. But since the screen than also awakes, it becomes maybe similar to WOL + moving the mouse?

Kind regards,
Ignace.

1 Like

Hi @Ignace,

Thanks for those additional details! Can I please ask that you reproduce the issue, note the exact local time + date you used WOL, then moved the mouse to cause the devices to reappear and then use these instructions to send me a copy of your Roon Core logs?

Hi @noris,

I sent you a private message with access to the logs, please note that a few minuted before the exact local time I mentioned in my message, I did some experiments. Don’t look at those, only the log at the exact local time I mentioned was a clean reproduction and should be taken into account!

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Ignace.

1 Like

Hi @Ignace,

Happy New Year! Unfortunately, the logs you sent don’t contain many clues, but we plan to try to see if we can reproduce the issue internally.

This may be a variable here, you can also try to use the magic packet to see if there’s any change in behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.