Windows Roon Core and Roon Remote Show Same Audio Devices [Solved]

i9900, 16gb win 10 machine running core. (office)
i3 8100 32 gb Isn’t picked up with roon or roon bridge installed. (lounge)

Both machines connected via ethernet.

Description of Issue

When installing roon on an additional windows pc it isn’t picked up in the settings audio devices. Installing bridge doesn’t change the listing of outputs. Install the roon app shows as if I’m running on the core machine.

The outputs office, Samson go mic etc are on the core machine and not the lounge machine I want to setup as an output.

Screenshot from lounge machine showing office outputs as this pc:

I have also had the setup reverse with the core running on the lounge machine. The results in the office outputs not being picked up. Adding roon on an additional windows laptop does result in more outputs.

Reinstalling after wiping the roon settings on the lounge machine has also been tried.

Your screenshot suggests that Roon is seeing Desktop-GEBBAPV with the IP address of 192.168.0.4. Is this an additional computer that you have installed Roon on, i.e. it’s not the i3 8100?

192.168.0.4 is a laptop that I’ve installed roon on for testing.

Have you checked that the missing machine is on the same subnet as your core?

Yup.

Very simple network. All on 255.255.255.0

Firewall is off on both machines and the router. No AV on either machine. Both set to private network.

If you click on ENABLE, you can activate two devices on this PC. The first is the standard output and the second also provides an exclusive and improved sound output via the Realtek sound card.

Screenshot_20211115_092116
What is displayed here when you switch the core:

The image you’ve cropped is a laptop for testing and not the machine I can’t see.

This is the same screen from the office(core) machine. The laptop is off so doesn’t appear but notice all the outputs are the same as my first screenshot from the lounge machine.

This would only be expected if I make a hard disk 1:1 as a backup copy (Clonezilla & Co) and use it in a 2nd device without much work.

Yes, It is not expected behaviour. That is why I am raising it.

There is no cloned hard drives. Its a fresh install of roon on the lounge machine. Before installing settings have been deleted and the windows registar cleaned of any roon related entries.

What is the output you’re trying to use on the lounge machine? Is it a USB DAC? Does it require any special drivers? This info would be helpful.

Edit: Also, on this lounge machine, are you installing full Roon or just Bridge? They are two separate things. If you install full Roon make sure you go to Settings → Audio and verify you don’t have that machine set to private.

I would like to use a cambridge audio amp with usb dac which has drivers installed. I can’t access any output on the lounge machine. A different usb dac or onboard audio don’t show up. All these outputs work outside of roon.

I have tried both full roon and bridge. Neither work. Currently I have full roon installed.

I can’t change a private setting on outputs that don’t appear. None of the outputs in the system I can see are set to private.

How do I raise an issue with a roon employee?

The employees read along. Obviously, no one is free to take up the problem yet and no further ideas are coming from the community.

@support

Can you help?

I think this is the interesting bit we are trying to understand. Roon Bridge, as far as I know, won’t set a zone Private but Roon Remote will. The Remote will show the locally attached endpoints like this:

If local remote shows nothing then Roon isn’t recognizing the device at all and we’ll need Roon to help troubleshoot (probably by looking at logs). If the local Remote does show devices then it’s almost 100% a networking / firewall issue between this lounge machine and core.

It is this.

That the office devices appear under this pc in the lounge is surely also a clue.

Hi @mbulmer1983 ,

Thanks for your patience here while your case reached my queue. Looking over this, it appears that the Roon Bridge PC is showing the same audio devices as the Core, and typically this only occurs when there is some kind of hard drive cloning involved.

There are ways to separate them again, let’s try to completely reset the Roon App on the Lounge PC and see if this helps. To do so, please use these instructions:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location on the affected PC (Lounge)
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”, “RAATServer” , “RoonBridge”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old”, “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”, “RoonBridge” to “RoonBridge_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page on the affected PC
  • Verify if the issue is resolved

If this doesn’t solve the issue, you can try the same procedure on the Core machine, and after confirming it is resolved, you can restore from a Roon backup.

Let us know if this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for your patience here while your case reached my queue. Looking over this, it appears that the Roon Bridge PC is showing the same audio devices as the Core, Correct

and typically this only occurs when there is some kind of hard drive cloning involved. No cloning.

** Create a Backup of your current Roon database*
** Exit out of Roon*
** Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location on the affected PC (Lounge)*
** Find the folder that says “Roon”, “RAATServer” , “RoonBridge”*
** Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old”, “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”, “RoonBridge” to “RoonBridge_old”*
** Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page on the affected PC*

I have reinstalled roon on both machines, clearing folders and files called roon (searching using everything) several times. I have not even bothered setting up my library and am only using a tidal accounts to test so skipped backup steps. When I get it working I’ll link my library of music.

The issue is not resolved

For completeness I have just uninstalled and cleared the roon folders of both machines. Switch the lounge to be the core and its the complete flip. I get the lounge outputs in the office.

The only thing I think that might be different to most people is I use RDP to connect on to the lounge machine.