Wipe out database and rescan [Resolved]

I have a very large library. I’ve noticed that several albums don’t list all the cuts on the album and some cases has not imported the album at all. There are many duplicates as well.

I can go to my directories and find the albums and their missing tracks. At the same time I can see albums listed in my directories that ROON hadn’t found at all.

I’ve seen a few in the skipped file area. But that doesn’t account for the rest.

Strangely all the missing files and albums do appear on jRiver. So I don’t really think anything is wrong with then. Surely if jRiver can find them all, ROON should do this too.

I believe at one time all tracks appeared in ROON.

I have rescanned the directories that contain the missing albums and cuts but it hasn’t worked.

Is there a way to delete the"ROON" database go back in time and let ROON rescan all the files and build a new library. Would this action wipe out my playlists as well?

What a mess.

Hopefully there is a cure.

Hi @Sgr ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated.

To help aide in my understanding of what could be causing you to experience this behavior would you kindly please provide me with the following:

1. The make, model, and specs of the device hosting your Roon core.

2. Details about where your musical collection is being stored and how it is accessed. Please also provide the size of your collection based on number of tracks.

3. In regard to your question:

“Is there a way to delete the"ROON” database go back in time and let ROON rescan all the files and build a new library. Would this action wipe out my playlists as well?"

The only way to “go back” without blowing away any edits or playlist, would be to restore from a backup that was previously made.

-Eric

Hi,
I have found the problem.

I grouped my music on the server as Rock, Test, Country,etc.So in each category there might be 500 albums with 10 tracks each on the average.

I don’t have that project finished. A work in progress. So smoke music is in the main directory while others are in the sub directories named above.

The problem is the sub directories. ROON does not find all the cuts in each album when in sub directories. (jRiver can do this)

So I pointed ROON to each subdirectory in the library. ROON then discovered all the missing titles.

BUT,

After doing this I have many duplicate albums. The complete ones and the incomplete ones. I’ve tried the various rescan options. Nothing seems to fix the problem. I could hide all the album’s with pieces. I can’t delete them as this will delete them form the drives.

These should be another choice:

Remove from library but not erase from the hard drive. (This is an option in jRiver).

Then I could fix the mess.

The other option is delete the ROON database. But as mentioned earlier that will wipe out edits and play lists. I could write Down playlist names and there contents. A pain but easy enough.

So how do I find the ROON library database file and erase it to start over?
Of course I’ll have to aim ROON at each sub directory plus the main to not have this problem again.

This seems the only way to fix the problem.
Seems like there could be an easier way.
The rescan does not fix the problem as it does not detect the duplicates and fix them.
Thanks,
Steven

The restore from back up is not an option since all the backups have the same problematic disease.

It definitely should – can you tell us the details of your setup and folder structure, as described in Eric’s post above?

If we’re not finding the files in your directories, I’d like to figure out why.

Hi,
Ok. I’ll give you the info. But I don’t believe this will fix the duplicates swarming through out my ROON library.

Silverstone PC 2 Dual boot
Windows 10 and WSY2K12v2
Gigabyte G1.SniperZ5s MOBO 179.04
Intell 4770k 84 watts 329.00
Intel 128 GB SS Drive. 119.99
16 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical PC3-12800 CL8 1.5V W/XMP Ram. 89.95 x 2 179.90
Silverstone Grandia GDO8 Case. 141.99
Seasonic Platinum Fanless 560 Power Supply 139.99
Microsoft Win 8 64 bit Operating System 109.99
Silverstone CPU Fan AR02
ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner Drive

Software:
All software was installed 4 yeas ago. Have installed updates as needed.
Dual Boot with WSY2K12v2 and Windows 10
JPlay 6.2
AudiophileOptimiser 2.30
Fidelizer
Jriver
Dbpoweramp
Stablebit: DrivePool
ROON
HQhplayer
jRiver

Server PC where files reside.
Windows 2012 Server PC
Motherboard Asus FCCE KB(8)? N-LR
AMD Athalon 64 processor 3200+
2.00 GHz 8gb RAM
Corsair PSU 850 Watt

Routers and LAN
Charter Cable Modem
1 Apple series 4 and 5 connected via Ethernet to make network larger.

PCs connected via TP link fiber and BlueJeans Cat 6 now.
I used just the 60 for BlueJeans when I first built the system

DACs
Lampizator Golden-gate (main)
Legacy and Boemer Audio WaVelet digital crossover, DSP, preamp, and DAC.

iPad Pro with ROON installed

Any ideas?

Hi @Sgr ---- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback. Both are appreciated.

Moving forward, we are going to try to setup a similar configuration to yours to see if can yield the same results. In the meantime, I would like you to please try the following to see see if we can trigger a change in behavior here.

• Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install
  • Let us know if you see these duplicates again.

-Eric

I believe part of the problem could be my use of DrivePool.

One reason duplicates have shown up is ROON when given the directions to my DRivePool K and M (the main roots) ROON could not find some of the Albums them selves and or would lose some of the tracks as I reported.

So I looked in the individual Drive directories to find a group of files that were missing whole albums and missing tracks. I then pointed ROON to that specific drive hoping during a rescan it would fix the problem. But instead of fixing the problems when the drive was scanned it found all the files again and duplicated them.

Once I saw that and it didn’t solve the problem with missing cuts or albums, I deleted that drive that was part of the pool from the ROON setting that’s points ROON to the library. (Not the drive itself. ) Hoping the duplicates would go away.
They didn’t.

Next I thought about the subdirectories. So through the add to library feature I pointed to a drive with the extra sub directory. This method found all the albums and all the music files contained in the directory. So that method did allow roonto find the files but I have even more duplicates than ever.

Also ROON duplicated all the complete albums that were in that pAth again as well. Plus of course the files in the path that were scanned wrong to begin with.

For example with DSotM I have two incomplete versions and one version scanned correctly. But if I delete the ‘extra’ ones the files will be deleted as well.
There should be a feature that says:
Delete the files from ROON library database but does NOT erase the files from the drive. A global command that would cause ROON to detect this fault and repair the entire database would be helpful as well.

I had. His happen when I discontinued Tidal but gradually all the Tidal titles did disappear.

Was this any help ?

Will try your suggestions tomorrow.

When I set the new ROON installation up should I just point to the two DrivePool drives K and M and ROON should be able to find all directories and sub directories or should I point ROON to the individual sub directories them selves and NOT tell ROON to scan the DrivePool dries K and M?

I believe the normal installation would just point to the two DrovePool drives that DrivePool has created. Right?

Need to know before I do the deed!

Hey Steven,

We have put this issue into a queue to have it looked at by our QA team and possibly our developers, if we have any issues that seem like they need to further investigation.

At the moment, I’m not sure I have more information for you here. DrivePool is not something any one on our team or in our QA department has used or tested Roon against in the past, and as far as I can tell it’s only come up once for us in the past.

Obviously there are a huge range of file systems and storage solutions out there. While we’ll always do what we can to address reproducible issues reported to us, I have to prioritize our testing resources based on how issues affect our user base as a whole.

Feel free to experiment with different configurations here and let us know how you’re doing, and we’ll be in touch once our team has had a chance to investigate this issue more fully. Thanks!

Problem solved.

First I placed all music directories into the one of two large Drivepool folders K and L. Then I deleted the ROON database as prompted. Next I had ROON rescan only the two main directories on K: and L:.

ROON rebuilt the library and problem solved.

I still think that if music is pulled from the ROON library then readied. ROON should get this and not duplicate the albums in ROON. But perhaps it just did this because of drivepool.

1 Like