Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC 7 i5 BNH, Core i5-726OU CPU @ 2.20GHz, 8GB, Win 10 Pro

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Hub 3.0 VMDG500, Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Chromecast Ultra wired on ethernet.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When using Chromecast as an audio playback device, which I do in the bedroom - it consistently skips over tracks in the queue for no obvious reason. If I go back they play without issue.

Same issue on WiFi, and with other Chromecasts tested in the house.

@ Support

Any acknowledgement here?

Bumpety bump…

Hi @Aidan_Nolan,

Thank you for your patience. The team has investigated diagnostics, and there are indeed streaming errors to cast devices during playback.

Interestingly, Roon loses all Google Cast devices at the same time. Logs indicate this is due an mDNS packet containing a faulty message (mDNS is a local network device discovery and announcement protocol).

A few steps to check:

1. In your router’s web administration, there should be settings related to Multicast and IGMP Snooping. I would verify Multicast is enabled, IGMP snooping is turned on, and your router firmware is up-to-date.

2. Is there any correlation to these errors and waking either Roon or the wired Chromecast device from sleep? In our experience, Chromecast issues with congestion control most often appear when waking a device.

3. Do you have any additional network hardware in your setup other than the Virgin gateway? In particular, access points and managed switches may be at fault here.

We’ll proceed from there and keep a close lookout for your response so you can expect a more prompt reply. Thank you!

Hi @connor ,

1. Not seeing those settings on my router’s configuration page.

2. Not observed this correlated with start-up or wake. It seems to be a persistent behaviour.

3. There is an unmanaged switch on the network in general, but not between the Chromecast and router.

Hi @connor /Support,

Any update on this issue?