Wired Network Streamer Recommendations

I’m ISO a wired network streamer with a single ended headphone jack, one that is capable of playing PCM 24-bit 706.5/768 kHz wav files. It doesn’t have to have a display. Roon ready or compatible with any number of IOS apps.

There are lots of solutions out there. What are you looking to spend? Does it have to be a single box solution?

For example, as I write this, I’ll listening via a WiiM Pro network transport, COAX S/PDIF into an SMSL D-6s DAC. XLR into a THX AAA 789 headphone amp that’s driving Focal Radiance headphones.

1 Like

David he wants up to 768/24 Wiim only supports up to 192/24 so doesn’t fit the bill.

I would say depends on how much you want to spend.?

Starting point you have a Matrix Mini i3 good product by reputable manufacturer who support Roon well. The i3 only supports Roon where the i3 plus supports a few other things.

1 Like

I read the post. I was just sharing what I’m using as an example of a separates system to find out if something like that would be acceptable.

Swap out the streaming transport, and they can play any format they want.

2 Likes

Thanks @David_Snyder I really should have given more context to my environment since I have atypical requirements.

I recreationally travel fulltime and my main system is built around a HTPC with JCAT USB XE and JCAT NET XE both powered with an Initio 3 LPS. The USB is connected to an Audiowise SRC-DX which is connected to dual Silver Dragon BNC cables that are attached to a Chord DAVE DAC as pre to my Hegel P20 amp and onto my KEF Reference 1 speakers. My library is stored on a NAS. A customization I need on my motorhome was a wired network.
When listening to my cans (Focal Utopia and Audeze LCD-MX4) I’m forced to run a 10’ Black Dragon cable to my seating area. It crosses the main thoroughfare and although covered with a cable protector it doesn’t lend itself to spontaneous listening. Hence the solution I’m seeking is a smaller chair side / desktop rig with a smaller footprint. I’m currently interested in a Matrix Mini-I 4 Pro. For the size, footprint and price. When critical listening is necessary I’ll use my DAVE.

Thanks for replying and sharing setup. I bet it sounds great.

@Simon_Arnold3 Perhaps my reply to David will answer your question. Next year I may replace my DAVE with a Holo Bliss KTE for critical listening.

Fiio R7 might be worth a look.

I’m using a Eversolo DMP A6 and Schitt Jotunheim headphone amplifier, fairly tidy setup.

1 Like

@OffRode Thanks for the suggestion. The Eversolo DMP A6 looks like a very interesting piece of kit! And of course Jotunheim is not a piece of Schiit. Oh actually it is!

2 Likes

I picked up an open box mini-I Pro 4 from Moon Audio. It took less than an hour to complete all the basic setup and firmware update, point the MA app to my DLNA server, authenticate Qobuz and configure JRiver to play to the mini pro 4.

For the price point I thing the SQ is quite lovely for my desktop needs.

Just now I used my Mac to connect to my Chord Mojo 2 with USB and then used a RCA cable to connect to mini-i pro 4 analog input. So now I can use my iPhone as a Roon remote. The Mojo 2 is amazingly transparent and the transients have a great effect on groove and punch. The Mojo 2 has a more open sound than streaming with MA or JRiver. The space between the notes is just what I like. Now I’m not advocating for this setup, it was just me being curious! But it is a workable hack to use Roon until the mini-I Pro 4 is certified (or if never).

For the price point (especially with an open box discount) and for my stated requirements I think it’s perfect fit for me.

Thanks to those that engaged with me on this pursuit.

1 Like

It’s not something I coined, the phrase has been around for a long time. It’s attributed to French composer Claude Debussy. Miles Davis famously expressing similar.

1 Like

That was about the composing and playing though

I don’t suffer trolls gladly. Move on.

See this page. Debussy was describing what you hear (or - to be prosaic, positivist, literal - what you think you hear) as a result of the notes which surround short silences.

Hindemith said something similar when he suggested that music after the Second Viennese School worked as much because of the intervals between notes as anything else.

But IMHO the OP’s mention of ‘space between notes’ could also apply to the idea of (systems and equipment which produce) an open acoustic.