Wireless network adapter isn't recognized

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus Plus Rev. B, latest OS update

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Main network connected by Ethernet

Description Of Issue

I just received a new Nucleus Plus device. It works fine with Ethernet cable. Based on descriptions I bought a wireless network adapter to have it as a secondary network: USB WiFi Adapter Techkey USB 3.0 WiFi 802.11 ac. I checked it on my Windows PC - it worked fine. Unfortunately I don’t see it in on Roon Nucleus+ page. I expected to see “Wireless” tab, together with “Ethernet”, but there is only “Ethernet” whatever I do. Is there anything I can do? BTW, I tried my old Belkin WiFi USB adapter - it didin’t show up either.

I don’t know that you can do that. Even if you can, you don’t want to. Your Nucleus should be connected by ethernet. If you’re trying to use that as a WIFI connection for sending music to a Roon device, again, I don’t think you can do that. Why would you want to? Your WIFI devices can receive Roon music from your Nucleus by way of your router and a WIFI signal from your router.

All descriptions, including Roon official ones, say you can connect USB WiFi adapter to one of USB ports.
Also I checked - 192 kHz stream from Roon (via WiFi extender) to Cambridge Audia 851N located in another room works fine, no issues.

OK, then. Have at it.

1 Like

The original question was - why doesn’t my new network adapter show up when it was supposed to do? What for - it is a different topic I’d gladly explain later.
P.S.

Your WIFI devices can receive Roon music from your Nucleus by way of your router and a WIFI signal from your router.

Right now it’s how my system works. I just wanted to place Nucleus Plus closer to my CA player - it is a huge box and its placement does matter.

I’m not sure there is official support for any WiFi adapters by Roon.

See “USB network adapter”.
I tried 2 USB adapters, none worked. It’s a product problem.
I’d like to know what adapter does work. It can probably be setup.

Hi @bfed,

A USB WiFi adapter should work (though it isn’t recommended). However, the specific adapter you purchased only appears to support Windows and Mac. If you are going to use a WiFi adapter it will need to have Linux support to work with Nucleus.

1 Like

Thanks @dylan. I am OK to buy another one. Is there a list of supported adapters?
I’d appreciate any recommendation.

We don’t recommend any specific product, but as long as it supports Linux you should be good to go.

Roon recommends a Roon Nucleus be connected to your network by ethernet. There is a lot of traffic moving from your router to your Nucleus and then back to your router.

Also, if you have Roon end-points receiving a WIFI signal from Roon, they will receive that signal from your router. Placing a Nucleus with a WIFI adapter next to your end point will do nothing. Of course, you can make a direct connection using USB or HDMI.

I guess it’s possible a Nucleus can send information by WIFI directly to a Roon end point, but if so, that’s news to me. However, I learn something new almost every day.

Not directly. Currently I have a Nucleus connected to Ethernet and CA player with WiFi in another room. It works fine. I wanted to move Nucleus (with WiFI adapter) next to CA player and connect them via Ethernet. But probably I will keep my current setup.
Can I ask another question: how does Nucleus handle power outages? I will surely turn it off during a storm, but it can happen unexpected. Is UPS absolutely needed? If it does, I think Nucleus lacks UPS-based power off.

I don’t know. I guess anything connected to our home’s electrical system is subject to a lightning strike. I live in Atlanta, GA and my Nucleus has been running 24/7 since last December. We have lots of severe storms. I never turn it off. It is plugged into a surge protector, but I doubt that would do much good if we have a direct strike.

PS: You can put your Nucleus anywhere you have an ethernet connection. It can be next to your end-point or in a different room or different floor in your house. Your Roon end-point needs a good WIFI signal from your router if you are using WIFI to your end-point. Ethernet is even better, though. I have some of both.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.