Wireless remotes disconnect frequently

Did you ever figure this out? I have a wired managed gigabit ethernet environment (4 cisco scwitches) with a wired NUC and wired NAS which works great but 100% of my wireless Roon Remotes disconnect often (sometimes every minute). Wired work flawlessly. Wireless (using Shaw ISP provided Aris XB6 router on 600Mb/s internet gateway) on Thinkpad T580, Alienware laptop, Google Pixel XL, Samsung Galaxy View SM-T670 tablet all disconnect constantly - even when immediately beside the router. It’s dual-band 802.11AC. All other WI-FI communications are great (including speed tests with very high results; playing MMORPGS without issue, etc.). The Roon disconnects are so consistent that I can’t edit metadata on wifi as I know it will disconnect before I can save.

Like you, I’m fairly certain this is a Roon issue - not wifi - it wasn’t an issue on version 1.3 or 1.4 but started on 1.5 (i think).

Hi @that_guy,

Besides the Aris router do you have any other wireless access points in use? Are there any firmware updates available for the router?

It sounds like there may be something the router is doing that interferes with the remotes’ ability to connect to the Core machine. If you temporarily disable the router’s firewall settings is there any change?

Can you share some screenshots of the settings available for this router?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: iOS Roon remote disconnecting

Hi @dylan, there are no other APs and everything is fully patched here at least monthly. No firmware updates (which are managed by the ISP).

The router itself is acting as any other gateway but without any egress filtering. No internal filtering either. No, the router doesn’t do anything to filter specifically roon data - its running in a fairly default configuration (for routing and filtering). No QOS. As I say, the network performs flawlessly for all other applications and devices - just roon drops frequently.

The gateway runs two APs - 2.4Ghz and 5ghz - they’re both using different SSIDs. MAC address filtering is disabled. Thinkpad and Alienware are running current patch versions of Windows 10 Pro; Androids are both up to date as well. Over the past year, I’ve moved my roon install from a windows 10 workstation, to a NUC6i5 running hyper-v server 2016 with a virtual windows 10 pro machine, to Roon ROCK running on a NUC8i7, to Roon running on Windows 10 Pro running dedicated on that same NUC8i7. There has never been a change in the wireless performance through any of those changes.

In the interest in opsec, i’m choosing to ignore your recommendations to disable the firewall or share screenshots of my gateway on a public forum. For what it’s worth, the router was upgraded in July 2018; the previous router (which was a Hitron CGNM-2250) had the same issue. If your serious about solving the problem, I suggest requesting my roon log files (assuming they can show the disconections) to determine what roon sees as the problem.

May I suggest, turn it on and experiment if there are multiple options. I said this earlier but my post was erroneously moved to another thread by a moderator, I found I needed to have it enabled.

Yeah, the Arris doesn’t have any QoS options anyway- its a consumer product without the ability to prioritze traffic. Is the roon remote connectivity so lag-sensative that packet priority is necessary? That seem unreasonable for an average user - or worse, for a non-IT capable nucleus buyer. I mean, this is not real-time video conferencing…onection!

As I typed these four sentences, my Samsung tablet, which was displaying “now playing” on Roon, disconnected twice showing “Lost Conection! Trying to Reconect” (but the wireless signal didn’t drop). Correction, three times.

Hi @that_guy,

Please accept my apologies for the delay here. I had a chat with the team about your report and for our next steps we’d like to enable diagnostics on your account. Based on the symptoms it sounds like there are some networking difficulties at play and the diagnostics report should be able to confirm whether or not this is the case.

The next time one of your remote devices disconnects please make a note of the time. Respond here with the time of disconnect, your timezone, and the device you were using when it disconnected. I’ll then get the diagnostics report over to our tech team for analysis.

Hi @dylan Here’s a sample. I opened roon at 11:05:06 AM PST on my Thinkpad T580 and Samsung Galaxy Tablet. There was only one zone playing (squeezebox transporter). Roon was also running on wired desktop (which never disconnects and always runs). For what it’s worth, if I plug in the ethernet cable into the Thinkpad, it doesn’t disconnect ever.

11:07:42 - thinkpad disconnects / reconnects
11:08:03 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:09:18 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:10:42 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:13:35 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:14:22 - thinkpad disconnects / reconnects
11:15:58 - thinkpad disconnects / reconnects
11:16:41 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:17:44 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:18:18 - thinkpad disconnects / reconnects
11:18:48 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:20:58 - samsung disconnects / reconnects
11:23:55 - thinkpad disconnects / reconnects

Stopped logging at 11:26:00.

Thanks, @that_guy!

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi @that_guy,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Core machine only (the remote diagnostics reports came through).

PM Sent with link to logs

Any updates? Having a similar issue with Meraki switch and APs.

No, I thought it was DNS - it wasn’t. I’ve wired my laptop to use roon; using a tablet or phone is infuriating to the point that I just don’t use them any more. I didn’t really receive any assistance aside from Roon confirming they could see the remote disconnecting - although I didn’t opt to continue troubleshooting beyond that point.

I replaced the Aris XB6 router with a Unifi Security Gateway and AP AC Lite 3 months ago and I can confirm all issues have been resolved comprehensively. It appears as though the router couldn’t maintain the sessions (even though the connections didn’t actually drop) for whatever reason. Perhaps the ISP-provided routers aren’t as good as they think they are.

Apologies to the Roon team for blaming them for a network issue.

Good of you to acknowledge it I think.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.