Wiring the home with fiber

If you choose custom under the bend resistant cable you’ll see 1000ft pre-terminated is only $75.

BlockquoteMiveraAudioMike Davis22m2
The best thing to do is figure out the length you need for each run and buy it pre-terminated. Obviously your runs can’t be more than 100M or else copper would be out of the question. 98ft runs are only $10, and they can pre-terminate custom lengths if the in stock lengths won’t work. That cable you linked to is 24 runs of fiber in 1 cable. Wrong stuff. I already shared the links to the proper cable to use in standard and kink resistant.
http://www.fs.com/products/40206.html
$8.60 for 98ft
11 lengths to choose from along with custom length option.
And bend resistant:
http://www.fs.com/products/59606.html
Less in-stock lengths, but also custom option.

Yep, I was overthinking it and missing your precise information. With your information, it’s difficult to conclude why I want to use anything but fiber!

We’re tweaking the final drawings now. So, we’re not close to needing to speak with the builder’s electricians. However, I do know they have about 40-electricians on staff and that along with residential work they do commercial, so quite likely they have a clue when it comes to fiber. However, I want to stay ahead of the subs and make hardware decisions where I can such as here with how I want the low voltage wiring question process to be handled. Having our present house built 17-years ago, I already know how I want my 2-channel room and H/T areas A/C wired. But as I mentioned early on, WiFi may be the future, but wired is well, wired! And in new construction, why not put an abundance of outlets in as many different areas as fiscally and feasibly possible!?

Yes doesn’t hurt to hardwire as well. They have up to 400G speeds running on this fiber now. So you’ll be futureproof for decades. With this ultra high bandwidth transmission available today, you’ll be surprised how soon it will be when devices require it for full performance.

Anyways just talk to the guys at Fiberstore and they can answer any questions you may have. They sell everything you’ll need all in 1 place. And ship worldwide cheap and fast.

This guy is already running 10G Ethernet speeds in his house:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/gv5m77/10-gbps-fiber-internet-fastest-home-internet-in-the-united-states

What do you think about jitter using optical @MiveraAudio

I dont use optical isolation today but have been looking at Ubiquiti switch with SFP out to a TP link converer to supply my endpoint.

This is what Lee at SOtM audio thinks.

“Lee feels strongly that optical is a bad idea. Lots of jitter. I thought this applied mainly to things like an Intona and not as much with optical but according to Lee, he has been looking at this for the past 5 years and can’t get around the fact that even optical results in considerable jitter leading to a more “closed” sound which is why he has intentionally avoided this type of GI and so his advice is to stick with passive isolation”

Without any measurements, that article is nothing more than an advertisement for Audioquest.

I can see only one reason for spending that kind of money on a cable: They look nice.

2 Likes

You’re confusing Ethernet with Toslink. With Ethernet jitter doesn’t matter. The audio clocking isn’t preformed until the endpoint. If jitter mattered with Ethernet, just imagine how bad Tidal streaming would sound after passing through 10000 switches and converters between the main servers and your home. Folks in Australia would have far worse sound than folks in Europe!

Maybe so but these Audiophile cables do exist and are widely used by audiophiles. With fiber Transcievers in the gear, it’s impossible to improve upon a $2.30 cable. 100% of all upstream noise is isolated.

It is not me that wrote that about jitter using optical ethernet it was the owner of SOtM I just thought it was strange as I never heard of it exept as you @MiveraAudio say using toslink.

Probably because his gear doesn’t use it. I see the same strange phenomenon when I go shopping at the BMW dealership. They never talk about how cool Tesla’s are.

Mike, what will your opinion of audiophile cables be when Audioquest introduces fibre optic Ethernet patch cables starting at $1000/ft, and all of the reviewers emphatically state (which they will) that they offer noticeable improvements over “off-the-shelf”, “inexpensive”, “probably not even certified” cables?

Fiber can’t be improved upon. These guys can release all they want. And yes audiophiles will likely still buy simply because of placebo effect and status. But they will never be able to improve the sound. There’s real reasons copper can be improved. But not fiber.

No you are of course right that he has a economical intrest in selling his cables with the old technology.

Well of course Tesla is cool but it ain’t no BMW :grinning:

I like BMW’s as well. By 2020 they will have an electric version of every model. However it took 1 man Elon Musk to inspire all of these automakers to do this. Elon Musk isn’t a man who judges what he should do based on what everyone else is doing.

[quote=“MiveraAudio, post:27, topic:29178, full:true”]
You’re confusing Ethernet with Toslink. With Ethernet jitter doesn’t matter. The audio clocking isn’t preformed until the endpoint. If jitter mattered with Ethernet, just imagine how bad Tidal streaming would sound after passing through 10000 switches and converters between the main servers and your home. Folks in Australia would have far worse sound than folks in Europe![/quote]

Then shouldn’t Tidal’s streaming be a noisy mess by the time it get to a computer?

Or are all the providers from Tidal’s servers to a cable/ADSL modem using “Audiophile” cables?

And will having fiber in the house improve on the quality of signal that has already been down a few hundred meters of coax or copper from the local ISP box/exchange to my house?

3 Likes

What fiber at the end of the chain does is isolates the audio gear from the noise generated in the server and network gear directly connected to the DAC. It doesn’t improve the bits. And it doesn’t improve jitter.

It’s funny how something that’s clearly superior and even costs less gets bashed by objectivists simply because they aren’t using it in their personal systems. At this point it’s time to keep the ego’s at bay and focus on the facts. Let’s not confuse personal bias with facts.

https://www.boundless.com/management/concepts/personal-biases-0-579/

Strong rethorics won’t change the fact that copper wiring is the state of the present and that in the world of consumer electronics fiber is just one of the options for a yet undefined future. For now, do you imagine your house littered with 20 plus conversion boxes?

No discussion on fiber being the better technology, but for home networking / audio distribution it is mainly a great solution desperately looking for a problem.

6 Likes

Why would you need 20 conversion boxes? Most gear is wireless now. All of my audio gear has fiber inputs. I’d rather deal with a couple $30 conversion boxes today than rewire my entire house, and replace my switch in a couple years. Just like electric engines are replacing internal combustion in cars, It’s already been clearly defined that fiber is replacing copper. There’s absolutely no situation where copper is objectively superior to fiber for digital communication. And now that fiber is cheaper than copper, no reason for everyone not to embrace it. And let’s not forget that even this cheap cable I’ve shared links to can support up to 400G speeds. It’s going to be a while before it becomes a bottleneck. A very sound investment.

I have a client who wired his entire house with Cat5 cable in the 90’s. Now he can’t even use gigabit Ethernet with it without rewiring his entire house. Anyone who uses copper today is going to be in a similar situation faster than they think. When you do something like wire your house with Ethernet, you’re doing it for the future. Not for the past.

Cat-5 cabling is completely compatible with gigabit Ethernet; it’s simply a matter of pulling out the old 10/100Mbps switches and replacing them with gigabit ones.

It should also be pointed out that copper and fibre Ethernet standards are not necessarily in competition with each other. They are complementary standards with neither set to replace the other and both are still under continuous development and evolution. Premier data centres all over the world are full of gigabit copper Ethernet cabling and no one besides audiophiles with far too much money and anxiety is concerned about noise or electrical isolation.

1 Like