With 1.3 Release coming, have you backed up your DB?

I have a question, and I hope some mac users would be able to answer it.

In the article concerning backing up the DB in the Roon user guide, the following is said:

“Note that because Roon’s database is frequently updated in the background, we strongly recommend against depending on automatic backup programs like Time Machine, Crashplan, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc and others.”

I just want to clarify the following thing: assuming I am doing a backup of my computer every day using Time Machine, is my Roon’s DB backed up each time?

My understanding of how Time Machine works is that it “sees” what has been changed on my computer and only backs up what has been changed (I might be completely wrong here). If this is correct, can Time Machine sees all Roon’s DB updates, and hence makes a proper backup? I am just trying to understanding why it is strongly recommend not to depend on automatic backup programs. To me it sounds like the best way to backup my computer (including Roon’s DB), although again I might be wrong here.

The problem is that Roon may be running during the automatic backup. If so, then that may lead to a corrupt backup of the database. My understanding is that if Roon is shut down during, say, a scheduled automatic backup, then all should be well.

AJ

1 Like

Thank you @WiWavelength!

I actually ended up excluding my Roon database from Time Machine backups. It was making those backups quite large and if it is not going to be able to be used to restore a corrupt or lost database, then why bother? I just copy it manually once a month or so to an external drive.

1 Like

In case anyone missed it, Dan’s suggestion in this thread is really apt.

If the thought of having to redo your edits, playlists, favourites or tags sounds painful, but you’ve never delved into making a backup then now is an excellent time to learn how to do it and actually make a backup.

Just remember the number one rule of making a Roon backup - you MUST CLOSE THE ROON CORE in order to make a viable backup.

That includes closing Roon Server if you are running the Core that way. A backup made while the Core is still running will be corrupt and cannot be restored from (which is kind of a big thing when it comes to backups).

The number two rule is, when in doubt refer to the number one rule.

Just remember, those who have made a backup when 1.3 arrives will be able to jump right in. Those who haven’t would be well advised to do so before upgrading. It can save so much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

So don’t be a foolish virgin - make a backup now.

1 Like

Hmmm… You created a new topic about backing up to be prepared for 1.3 and then quickly merged it into this post. Are you trying to not trying to tell us something too explicitly, @andybob?:wink: My dead little toe is telling me you’re actually telling us something else though…!:grin: Either way, I won’t sleep tonight…!:laughing:

Excellent Advice - LOL

Also make sure to have a backup of your backup - :slight_smile: FYI - I have two versions of backups on site and another version offsite.

3 Likes

Yep. The external drive that has my database backup is also backed up online with Backblaze. 2 is 1, 1 is none, I’ve heard. So I guess in this case 3 copies (original, external drive, online backup of external drive) is 2 copies?

1 Like

I closed Core Server, and just simply used “copy” to copy the entire Roon Folder from c:Users, Pc, AppData, Local to my desktop.

Is this the correct way of doing this?

Thanks
Chris

Yes it is. That is, in your case, the folder named “RoonServer”, not a folder called “Roon” (if there is any, in case you had the full GUI version of Roon installed previously, like I did).

I have been telling my friends who build backup solutions that their whole business is mis-named. It should be “restore”! Nobody wants to do backups, we want to restore.

2 Likes

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

1 Like

I wonder how many will still upgrade without backing up as suggested?

Russ

About 92%, I’d guess.

I have always been a minority :innocent:

Russ

1 Like

Today I’m celebrating my 6 months Roon anniversary.
Just finished my database backup.
Now eagerly waiting from my present :wink:

2 Likes