With Roon 1.6 album art no longer appears on Mac OS 10.8.x

With Roon 1.6 (in fact starting with Roon 1.5 Build 363) album art no longer appears on macs running Mac OS X 10.8.x.

I understand that OS X 10.8.x is quite old but many audio professionals are still stuck with it because of compatibility with other software. My company has 58 Mac minis (late 2012 model) with Mac OS 10.8.3 (each with a separate Roon account) and we are desperate to have a solution to this issue.

In September of 2018 a Roon update caused Roon to completely stop working with OS X 10.8.x. A number of people on this forum (see Roon no longer opening on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (Build 354)) implored Roon Labs to solve the issue. Roon Labs was kind enough to fix the problem quickly and issued a build (360) for Roon 1.5 that re-established compatibility with OS X 10.8.x.

Unfortunately, starting with Roon 1.5 Build 363, album art stopped appearing. All else seems to work fine. It would be wonderful if Roon could again address this compatibility issue especially since Roon Labs states on its minimum requirements page (https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F) that Roon is compatible with OS X 10.8+.

Thank you in advance Roon Labs for looking into this.

Hey @Adam_Verver - we can look into this and see if there’s a bug here, but if this issue only affects OSX 10.8 I don’t think I can make any commitments as we are planning to end support for that version of OSX soon, most likely with our next release.

I will let you know if there’s anything we can do, but at this point my recommendation would probably be to upgrade to a more recent version of OSX.

Thanks for the report!

Thank you Mike for your reply. Has there been progress on a solution to this issue from Roon?

On our end are working on finding a way to remotely update the Mac OS on more than 50 Macs running Roon (many of which are scattered around the world). We are evaluating a remote solution (that does not require physically accessing each Mac, which is impossible) but it may be a while before it is throughly tested. Until then are hoping that Roon can stand by its systems requirement statement that Roon is compatible with Mac OS 10.8.x

FYI, the album art when browsing and playing from Tidal and Qobuz does now appear but as soon as an album is added to the library its cover art is replaced by a generic black and white graphic.

Thanks for looking into this and keeping us updated through this forum.

Regards,
AV

Hi @Adam_Verver,

We can’t make any commitments beyond what @mike mentioned above, but we definitely recommend updating your client’s machines as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.