Work & Part tags. Should it work for a single movement?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Work & Part tags

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

No

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local

Screenshot of import settings

See below.

Description of the issue

I used these tags:

For a Piazzolla album & in Roon it looks like this:

Perfect!

For a Steve Hackett album I tagged it thus (The left being the “work” column & the right being “part”):

In Roon I get this (showing the track above & below to indicate lack of work/part separation):

Not so perfect.

The obvious assumption is that it doesn’t work for single lines. But does that mean it wouldn’t work for single movement classical pieces?

Or could it perhaps be something stupid that I’m doing.

Which, on the whole, seems very likely. :slight_smile:

I have not tried it, but, the point of work part is to group several lines under a header.

What is your goal for using it with a single line? extra text display space?

For a one part (movement) work (composition), Roon always displays the track title in the Album view, and ignores the work/part tag values.

In this instance, since Roon has this feature, I wanted to separate the heading “Live Acoustic Set” from the names of the pieces in the medley, as that is how it’s written on the CD sleeve.

It strikes me that there are a number of places one could use this functionality, whether it’s Genesis’ Supper’s Ready followed by the constituent parts or Rush’s La Villa Strangiato.

Or any Classical piece like Sibelius’ 7th which is in one movement, but that movement is broken up into several parts.

For me, it would be very odd to have a set of Sibelius symphonies where all of them have the title on one line & the movements on one or more lines below it except for one that would stick out like a sore thumb.

Very odd indeed.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Work and Part are grouping and sorting of multiple lines, so, if you put a long text string in the part section, then you are just naming the part for that one track.

If you split the track up using an Audio Editor and gave them the appropriate info it will work.

I just voted for your Feature Suggestion. I noticed you made the thread, did you not vote for it yourself?

I didn’t know I could vote for myself. I mean, if I suggested it, I would hardly be likely to vote against it. lol. But I’ll go & have a look at that now. Thanks for voting and for letting me know.

With regard to Supper’s Ready, I would have:

Supper’s Ready (as the main heading & then on the next line)
I: Lover’s Leap, II: The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man, III: Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men, IV: How Dare I Be So Beautiful? V: Willow Farm, VI: Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet, VII: As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men’s Feet)

As a single line of text.

I mean, in reality I probably wouldn’t bother. I’m more concerned about my classical music & single movement works where I would want the title & then the movements on one line below it.

My point is that it seems kind of arbitrary to me to create a system whereby one particular instance amongst all possible instances is treated differently for no readily apparent reason.

Why not just have Work & Part work across all possible variables? :man_shrugging:t2:

Well, I am not privy to the design intent. But, right now, each Work/Part pair maps out to 1 file, a real file that is playable.

But if it’s only one track, it doesn’t split it into a heading with the track indented below it on a separate line, which I think is a shame.

1 Like

It’s also a genius feature to use for Bonus Tracks!

1 Like

Of course, the current set up wouldn’t do that if there was only one bonus track. which, again, is a shame.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.