Would I benefit from a server?

Currently have all my music on a 2tb external HD connected to my IMac. Running Roon to my Squeeze Box Touch( looking to replace soon) which Is connected to my Oppo 105 Via USB. What benefit would I gain with the server? Thanks.

Your system would work just fine nothing wrong with it. In my case I moved to a separate server for a few reasons.

1. My iMac is not always on. It is set to power down when not in use.
  2. Roon is competing with a lot of other system and local programs on my iMac. Not the case on my Sonictransporter which is running a lighter OS and Roon. I can easily run room correction etc with the extra CPU headroom.
  3. Having a fan-less server I can put it in my audio component rack and leave the iMac in the home office.
  4. My Mac may occasionally need rebooting. The Sonictransporter goes months without needing a reboot. Overall more reliable.

These are a few of the reasons I could think of off the top of my head.

Overall it is probably a matter of preference and current components. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks. A lot of valid points. My iMac is a late 2015 with a 1tb SSD w32gb of RAM. So it’s pretty capable of running multiple programs. I was thinking of dismounting the external HD and attaching it to my new streamer when I choose it. The other option I was thinking is getting a SonicTransporter and attaching my drive to it. My only concern is that I’m running out of ethernet ports on my router.

You can easily add a switch to give you a bunch more ethernet ports.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will look into that.
Question. If I were to use a SonicTransporter, how do you control Roon? App on IPhone or IPad? Would I be able to control it on my IMac and view the same display as the Roon download?

All of the above.

1 Like