Would more RAM help

What version of Windows are you running and is it 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 10 64 bit

What is the model of the PC and do you know what processor is in it?

Hi Dick. You said originally

Now you’ve increased available memory and you say ‘task manager shows the 2 together aren’t even running a total of 1 gig of memory’

So are you saying your pc is now not using a lot of memory?

1 gig is after all… not much at all.

It would appear you’ve got other problems here.

Maybe @support can help.

Hello @Dick_Cooper,

Please let us know the model of the PC and what processor it uses. I believe that the additional RAM you installed is not actually operational or it may be the wrong type of RAM for your specific motherboard.

I would double check what your System Info is reporting, you may also need to update your BIOS and double check that you are indeed on 64-bit to make use of the additional RAM modules.

Thanks,
Noris

The Windows 10 PC is an Asus Vivo VM42_VM62_VM62N series, Intel 13-4005U CPU @1.70Ghz
I have checked the system with a Crucial scan and the RAM is shown as operational.
System info shows 64-bit. It seems to me that this trouble started after a Windows update. Would that have updated the BIOS ?

Highly unlikely, I’ve never heard of an OS updating a PC’s BIOS. In BIOS settings make sure dual channel memory is enabled.

I am not a techie but I have looked at the BIOS and can see both 8GB RAMs. I couldn’t see anything where I would enable dual channel, though.

I think you need to do a windows recovery, I am running an i3 laptop similar to your specs but with only 4gb of memory and mine has the server and client for roon and running programs and browsers so there is obviously something majorly wrong with your system.

I did try to allude to that way up the thread. But as is often the case here, the ‘chuck some more money at it’ proponents won the day.

1 Like

I ran Roon on my 32bit W10 PC with 4GB ram. (Standard roon.exe although core is on a NUC). Together with Firefox, the PC showed 1.7GB in use. I added extra tabs, a photo editor, Chrome, Google Earth, and a couple of others and managed to get to the dizzy heights of 2.6GB (about 1GB cached). Windows still OK (although I do have a faster CPU than you).

Indeed so.

Brian

EDIT. On reflection, not really a valid test as my database is on the NUC. I had actually rerun with core on PC but I only had a small test music folder.
Please disregard.
Sorry

I have done a Windows Recovery - well to be honest it is still running - pain in the b*** to do reinstalling all my stuff. Looking good so far. Roon and Opera both running and memory not up to max.yet. Screen keeps blacking out for a second at a time randomly, but I have my fingers crossed that this is only temporary.

That’s sounds promising … I’ll keep my fingers crossed as well.