Writes to Nucleus+ drive fail- getting worse, unusable playback

Gentlemen:
Stand down. Sorry to suck up your time. After a seriously strange interaction between the Naim Qb and Nucleus+, I spent the entire day yesterday going through my network (extensive for other reasons). There are a number of switches. I tested EACH port of every switch in a pragmatic way- I used a 366 MB audio folder, copied and timed the copy to the Nucleus+. The copy was from a MacBook Pro on wifi. I shut off (powered down) anything that had WiFi- including one of my mesh router nodes- so I could control the access point and routing. MANY, many ports, hours and tedium later, I discovered one 8 port switch with the following ‘oddities’. Note that ‘copy time’ means FROM the laptop TO the Nucleus+:

Port 8- connected to Nucleus+
Port 7- connected to router with WiFi access to laptop. Copy time = 15 seconds
Port 6- copy time 15 seconds
Port 5- copy time 15 seconds
Port 4- copy time 6 MINUTES 13 seconds! **** Yowza! ****
Port 3- copy time 1 MINUTE
Port 2- copy time 40 seconds
Port 1- copy time 1 MINUTE 30 seconds

The real torment is that ALL ports copied data FROM the Nucleus+ to the laptop at roughly the same time- about 16 to 17 seconds. I have seen a lot of switches fail, but never one like this!

Predictably, when I was substituting / troubleshooting in the past, I was always using ports 1 through 4 because the switch in question- and those ports- were easy to get to. Just goes to show ya…

$50 later and a new switch, all is well. It also dropped copy to and from times by about 3 seconds- to 12 to 14 seconds, depending on direction.

Sorry I used up a chunk of your time and for questioning the Nucleus+ virtues. I get why 4 of the 8 ports can choke (the 4 port silicon controller building block thing). However, in my defense, this asymmetrical failure is- at least to me- an odd one!
Cheers!
-Bob

2 Likes