Wrong composer attribution

Description Of Issue

Roon tells me I’m having 240 albums where the composer is the Dresden Kreuzchor… This seems to affect albums where the composer is supposed to be Mendelssohn. I still have albums with correct credit for Mendelssohn, though.

These credits are not coming from my file tags as far as I know. I have checked my COMPOSER tag and there is no single instance of the Dresden Kreuzchor, which is not a composer in any universe anyway.

If I select all the albums with composer credit “Dresden Kreuzchor” and try to remove credits or primary artists, I do not get any match for the Dresden Kreuzchor, so I cannot remove it there:

I do see the composer attribution in track view:

I seem not to be able to edit the composer credit on track view, though. But apart from rying to delete the wrong attribution, my question is: how can this happen?

As seen in this thread, I have tried to find out what may have happened with the help from other users. I had flagged support there, but with no response, so I’m trying again.

I’m totally at loss about what to do in order to fix this.

also the system seems not to react to edits on track level. I have tried to remove the Kreuzchor from one of those albums:

still there, you seem not to be able to kill it…

Hi @Klaus_Kammerer1. I think I know what is going on here and I’ve already (hopefully) put in a fix.

This seems to be arising from a bad MusicBrainz recording credit. You can see the edit that I have submitted here. Someone mistakenly credited Dresden Kreuzchor as “Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy”.

Mendelssohn and Dresden Kreuzchor are completely separate in our Cloud metadata, but Roon attempts additional equivalence with your textual track tags locally. In general this works well, but in this case the client sees “Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy” as an alias of Dresden Kreuzchor and does some incorrect matching. When an alias is completely wrong, some strange and incomprehensible equivalences can happen.

It may take up to a week for this fix to be approved in MusicBrainz (though there is a bug in MusicBrainz which may mean that the unapproved fix might come in sooner), and then up to a week for the updated Dresden Kreuzchor alias list to be pulled into your library. When this happens, the problem should go away automatically as your Core reprocesses anything related to Dresden Kreuzchor.

I appreciate your frustration / hair pulling, but this should be resolved in a week or two. Hang in there and thanks for bringing this to our attention!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.