Wrong performance count in Well-tempered clavier

I just added a Well-tempered clavier by Kimiko Ishizaka. And it now says I have 24 performances of each pair of prelude/fugue. And I don’t :smile:

And then if I follow the 24 performances link I get a list of each pair of perlude/fugue.
It isn’t correct. I guess it’s tricky but I’d call it a bug.

Let me know if you need any other information on this.

Two screenshots below:

Same here on a lot of classical pieces - any track from “Così fan tutte” shows I have over 50 performances :confused:

Assuming it’s counting the number of occurrences of the phrase “Così fan tutte” in track names and counting that as “one performance”, regardless of how many different tracks are in a typical classical work.

Assuming it’s counting the number of occurrences of the phrase “Così fan tutte” in track names and counting that as “one performance”, regardless of how many different tracks are in a typical classical work.

Roon is fully capable of representing 1 performance of a multi-part work, assuming our metadata sources give us the data in that form. This is not a naive string munging problem.

And then if I follow the 24 performances link I get a list of each pair of perlude/fugue.
It isn’t correct. I guess it’s tricky but I’d call it a bug.

Generally when this happens it’s an indication that each of the separate prelude/fugue pairs was considered to be a distinct performance by an editor at AllMusic.

Technically, this may be correct: If the tape stopped rolling between each one, or different preludes/fugues were recorded on different days, or whatever, they actually are distinct performances even though they may have been compiled together into an album.

Whether or not this is useful, or could be presented better is a different question. Usually, when we run these down, we find that they are technically correct, but annoying from a user experience standpoint.

Fair enough, Brian.

Whatever metadata parsing causes the problem, it’s a bit misleading - I clearly do not have 50+ performances of the “Nozze” overture in my library:

If you follow the link, it pulls up quite a few separate tracks, including a number of sopranos, baritones, tenors, etc., singing several different arias, along with five actual performances of the overture, which is good :smile:

Hello Brian,

Even though I understand your explanation, I have two problems with this behavior:

1. It still isn’t true that I have 24 performances of that particular prelude/fugue. That album consists of 24 pairs of preludes/fugues. So eventually, if I had two different recordings of this particular work (Bach’s Well-tempered clavier) then it could eventually be technically understandable that Roon would say that I had 2 (not 24!) performances of this piece referring to each particular pair instead of referring to the whole work;

2. Even though there may be a technical logic to explain this behavior, it really doesn’t make any sense from the user point of view. And since Roon is being so ambitious in its usability, this seems like something that should definitely be addressed, even if a creative approach must be used as a work-around for that idiosyncrasy :slight_smile:

It still isn’t true that I have 24 performances of that particular prelude/fugue.

What you have is 24 partial performances of The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1.

Even though there may be a technical logic to explain this behavior, it really doesn’t make any sense from the user point of view.

I agree that it’s unwieldy.

Problems like this are difficult to solve since the data is working against us. We have to decide whether to change the data on our end (for tens of thousands of works on hundreds of thousands of albums…), or whether to invent a new concept that tries to collapse these separate performances closer to the UI. Either way, it’s a significant challenge.

I understand its complexity but I really hope you find a creative solution to this problem and ask you to write it down in your to do list. I wouldn’t rate it as urgent of course, but I wouldn’t call it irrelevant either.

Thanks!

Of course.

1 Like