X1 fiber connection question

If I use a copper to fiber adapter between my switch and the X1, will that still give me the benefits of the network isolation inherent in the fiber connection?

Ethernet gives you isolation anyway - it’s galvanically isolated by design. Just don’t use shielded cables as they can cause ground loop issues in a system that’s not compliant with FTP/STP requirements.

There are lots of spurious claims about optical connections reducing noise, but any noise components of Ethernet are well below the threshold of audibility.

SFP and SFP+ LC fibre connections were designed for long transmission distances and high bandwidths, not for noise isolation.

By all means, you can add add a fibre adapter if you like - it’s your money, just don’t expect audible improvements (there’s no sound engineering or scientific basis for any improvement)

Ethernet and audio is a hotly debated topic. People claim to hear all sorts of improvements from switches and cabling, however objective measurements prove otherwise. Cognitive and expectation bias can make us think we’re hearing things that don’t exist.

2 Likes

Yes, that works.

Some examples:

2 Likes

If you really want to go with a fibre link, I’d go with Lumix’s recommendations in Peter’s link above for hardware. SFP module compatibility with devices can be very hit and miss.

The same goes for SFP+. I have a dual 10Gbit link from my Synology Rackstation to my network switch. The 10Gbit SFP+ modules in my Intel network adapter cards are not compatible with the Dell switch and the Dell switch adapters are not compatible with the network cards, even though they’re all the same format of device for OM3 MMF.

There’s no universal compatibility like that of ethernet…

So far we have not received any incompatibility report of SFP module with the X1 from users so far, but for the audio community I guess only the common ones are being used. Even RJ45 SFP module works.

For SFP+ (that Lumin does not support), things get complicated. In another forum someone tried plugging in a SFP module into a SFP+ slot from another brand of NAS - that should work in theory, but it did not.

2 Likes

I’m using an Etherregen in B/A mode with Ethernet to from a Netgear Orbi 1GB port to the Etherregen B port then fiber from the Etherregen SFP port to the Lumin X1. SFP modules are StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST and as recommended are the same modules at both ends. The fiber cable is a 1M LC UPC Duplex OS2 single mode patch cable from FS.COM. This setup was simple plug and play and worked immediately without any problems and was surprisingly inexpensive. To my ears the fiber SQ is superior to the original Ethernet I originally had installed via the Etherregen conventional A/B mode. The SQ improvement is subtle but worth having in my opinion.

Did you get the specific model listed on the Lumin web page? I have that Corning fiber listed, so people don’t mistakenly get the other non-Corning fiber.

2 Likes

Peter, are you now suggesting that the Corning fibres ‘sound’ better than the non-Corning fibres?

Hi Peter
No it’s a different cable; no mention of Corning in the specs. However comparing both the cable you provided the link to and the one I’ve used there appears to be very little difference in performance characteristics other than temperature range and a slightly better insertion loss <= 0.3dB vs 0.21dB. Neither cable is expensive by audiophile standards. I didn’t spot the link in your previous references. Had I done so I would have gone with your reference given there’s little difference in the cost.

@wklie, I understand that both multimode and single-mode will work with your lumin streamers. However, it seems to me that Lumin prefer single-mode SFP modules and cables, is that true?

That is correct.

During the launch of X1, a dealer did a demo that compared the SQ between copper Ethernet, single mode SFP, and multi mode SFP. In that event, more visitors preferred single mode to multi mode.

I also searched for discussions at audiophilestyle.com in the past, during that time it seemed to me more people preferred single mode.

This is why our Lumin X1 web page example uses single mode SFP.

2 Likes

Yes, I like single-mode better.

1 Like

Are you using Corning fiber?

I am using this one.

I bought it before someone mentioned your recommendations.

If you can hear a difference between single mode and multi mode, try getting the Corning fiber and see if you hear a difference.

2 Likes

yep, thanks for the advice.