XTC Surround Sound Series - Audiophile help needed!

Hi all.

I’ve recently been ripping my copies of the XTC surround sound series.

Unfortunately, I have no way of ripping the blu-ray, so I’ve downloaded the BDMV files & used the following process to get them into Roon:

BDMV (via MakeMVK) > MKV files.

Open each MKV file in VLC Player & see which title it is.

Add the title name after the title number. (The title numbers are meaningless really, but I don’t want to discard them from the file names until the very end, just in case.)

MKV files (via To FLAC Converter) > FLAC.

As a result, in some cases, I’ve ended up with multiple audio files for the same “title”. (In these instances, the VLC movie files show three possible audio streams, but they’re not named in any meaningful way.)

I’ve renamed the files so that they fall in the same order as they do on the back of the slipcase (but have kept the original MKV file names in square brackets for the time being).

I’ve opened each file in Audacity & made a note of the bit rates & sample rates. (In each case, Audacity assigns “32-bit float” to the files. I’m not sure why. In any case, something like 32f-96k appears in each file. I’ve also made a note when they’re 5:1 files.

Here’s a screenshot of Skylarking:

So, as you can see, there are three audio streams for 01. I’m assuming that one is some form of DTS & the other is LPCM but…

Why are there three?
Why is one only 48k & the other two 96k?
Is there any way of telling which is which?

I don’t have a hi-fi set-up that can do anything with 5:1 files but I hope to eventually & in the mean time it would be great get everything tagged correctly & to learn more about what I have here. Besides, there is tons of extra content on the blu-ray that’s worth having in Roon.

Here’s what I have for Drums & Wires:

Here’s Oranges & Lemons:

And here’s how the VLC menu shows the three audio streams:

If anyone can shed any light, I’d really appreciate it.

No way, no how are those extracted tracks natively 32 bit floating point, and they should not be stored that way for playback. Audacity is processing them and saving them in that floating point format. Or one of the upstream software programs is doing so. But native format for the tracks almost certainly is 16/24 bit integer.

AJ

It is relatively easy to rip Blu-ray discs directly with a Libredrive compatible drive with makemkv

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18856

It’s then possible to extract the desired audio track with mkvtoolnix.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30191

I’ve ripped my entire Blu-ray collection onto my Plex server using makemkv and handbrake.

I’m not saving any of the files out of Audacity, so they remain unchanged and will be whatever they are, having been ripped from the blu-ray. I’m just opening them to find the sample rate, really. I’m now just curious as to why Audacity’s default setting seems to be “32-bit float” (whatever the hell that means).

Yes, I don’t currently have the means to buy another external drive, hence downloading the files I need. Unfortunately, I also have Black Sea & I can’t find a blu-ray rip of that anywhere, so I won’t currently be able to listen to that disc on my main hi-fi. It would have to be through the sound bar on the TV.

Apparently…

“By default, Audacity uses “32-bit float” (floating-point) sample format, which provides sufficient dynamic range for even the most demanding audio tasks, and is able to represent sample values greater than 0 dB , and so avoids permanent damage if the audio level exceeds 0 dB during processing.”

So basically, as I’m not editing the files, Audacity is pretty useless at telling me what bit rate the files are ripped at. :roll_eyes: