Yet another.. which device should i buy for roon core

I’m planing to buy a new device for running roon core and confused of all the options and i would appreciate suggestions for upgrading my current setup.
my current set up is:
roon core running on intel nuc with pentium processor and ubuntu 18.10.
for playing on speakers i have peachtree x1 usb to spdif converter connected to the nuc usb and outputs via coaxial output to marantz pm6006 amplifier/dac and to cambridge speakers. so actually the core device is streaming the music to the amplifier. i can’t play MQA here because the marantz dac does not support it but i don’t mind.

for listening on headphones i have Project pre box s2 digital connected to my windows 10 laptop via usb -> to nad 302 amplifier(yes, very old but sounds great) -> to headphones.

it all works fine. i use my laptop or smartphone as roon controller.
but i still want to replace the device for roon core, i don’t have local library files, i only listen to roon tidal and qobuz. and i just need a more audio oriented drop-in replacement for the nuc.

because in my setup the roon core device is streaming the music to the amplifier i’m thinking of a more dedicated audio device.
i wonder if i should go with ROCK and one of the suggested nuc for ROCK here https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit
but i understand that all those nucs are not fanless and are not dedicated audio devices.
or go with a more audiophile device like MICRORENDU/ ULTRARENDU , can one of these be just a drop-in replacement to the nuc?
will a regular fanless mini pc like MintBox Mini that runs a Intel Celeron J3455 do a good enough job as a roon core plus streaming the music to the amplifier? will microrendu be much better then a regular fanless mini pc?
I’m fluent with linux so i don’t mind playing with linux os’s.
any other suggestions are appreciated.

Many Roon users of a Nuc got a fanless Akasa case. Works great here with a 7i5

Really, why change what works? You won’t get any better SQ than what you’re getting now, particularly since you’re using an Marantz integrated amp/DAC.

Only good as an over-priced endpoint. It can’t run Roon core.

You didn’t say what your speakers or headphones were, but if you’re dying to buy something maybe there woud be the place to start.:slightly_smiling_face:

my speakers are cambridge audio aero 6, as for headphones i have a bunch,i mostly use audeze lcd 2 classic ,B&W P9 or beyerdynamic d1770.
i want to replace because i think the pentium processor is not powerful enough as my library grows and maybe an i5 will do a much better job…
and i’m also planing to have a better dac in front of the marantz…

Any i5 NUC will do. Some people swear by fanless, but I have yet to hear any fan noise from my NUC.

Here’s what I use -

If you want to spend the bread you could get a Roon Nucleus. The base Nucleus only has a i3, but that is enough for most people. It’s good for 100,000 tracks and 6 endpoints.

Thanks, the nucleus is way much more then what i want to spend for that…

The i5 NUC will set you back about $500 w/RAM and SSD.

As I posted above an i3 is good for 100,000 tracks and 6 endpoints.

Since you know Linux, or even if you didn’t, install ROCK OS and you’re good to go.

Be careful about fronting your integrated amp/DAC with another DAC. You will end up doing two D-to-A conversions.

I think if i front the amp with a dac connected to analog input of the amp it will bypass the amp’s dac…

Yeah, when I did something similar I used the input labeled CD, thinking that a CD player does a conversion so the input labeled CD shouldn’t also do one.

I tried it already with project pre box s2 in front of the marantz, i connected it to the marantz network input and it works fine.

BTW, roon suggest they tested on NUC gen 5,6,7 , i wonder if gen 8 will work too with ROCK?

I’m old school - I use a Windows 10 desktop PC with a 3TB SSD and 32Gb of memory. It works perfectly. And I can use it for other stuff too…

Audio quality is really great too.

Gen 8 will also work.

Works perfectly for my core. Upscale to 24/384 no problems.

Using this thread for another question regarding my setup.
so i have an old nuc as roon bridge connected to it is peachtree x1 usb to spdif converter that outputs to a marantz dac coaxial digital input. i understand that Allo digione player can be something to replace both the nuc+peachtree X1, my question is will the digione give me a better sound quaity?

I know this question has been asked and answered many times, but I may have a little different slant on it. My question is what device, other than my laptop, would be best from running the Roon core if I don’t want to get locked into the Roon eco-system and end up with a lot of money wasted if I decide to drop Roon and go in a different direction. I am pretty much risk averse and don’t like getting walled in.

I was on the verge of buying a Nucleus, and may yet, but I got cold feet and wasn’t ready to commit to $119 per year or $500 lifetime for Roon. Being somewhat new to HD music, and streaming Tidal and Qobuz, I want something this is turn-key and could be repurposed if no longer needed for Roon. Would a desktop or tower computer be OK? I know the Apple Mini-Mac is a popular device, but I would have no other use for one. The Nucleus I was going to buy would be totally useless if I dropped Roon, but I suppose I could sell it on eBay for 1/2 price. I really don’t want to build anything.

Thanks for your input.

The Nucleus is a computer like any other Linux based computer. Load a new OS on it and you should be good to go, even without Roon.

For a cheaper alternative, here’s but one example -

So, would it be as simple as plugging in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and downloading Windows 10? I don’t know anything about Linux and not interested in learning about it.

1 Like

I think the thing for me to do is finish my 60 day trial of Roon and pay $119 for one year. Then, see how deep into this hobby I want to go and decide if I want to go the Roon route or some other direction before investing money in gear. For now, I’m good with my Dell XPS 15 laptop, Oppo 203, and Bose sound system. I have a Dragonfly Cobalt for headphone use.