Your favourite 4 ECM albums?

Four that I’m listening to lately:

4 Likes

An absolutely brilliant and killer version of “God Bless The Child”. If you haven’t heard this version then go onto Tidal or Qbuz and give it a listen.

2 Likes

Pssst… The Mehldau isn’t ECM. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but it could be.:wink:

Maybe it should be. Mehldau records SQ is oftentimes a bit iffy…

2 Likes

Oops. Sorry about that…

This older title is still in my current rotation:

3 Likes

Nothing to be sorry about - great music is timeless!

Something to be very sorry about, that was Charlie Haden’s last recording, and the title is not an accident, as his illness would soon make it impossible for him to play. Makes me choke a bit every time I listen to it. I first heard Haden live in 1971, playing with Ornette at the famous session in Cascais, Portugal that led to him being arrested by the pre-democracy political police for making a Black Power salute on behalf of the fighters against Portuguese colonial rule in Africa. Old and New Dreams and Liberation Music Orchestra were constants of my vinyl listening back then, as well as the sadly neglected “jazz opera” Escalator over the Hill that he also performed on. Last time I heard him live was in SF as his illness was starting to take hold, and yet he still graciously signed a CD as a gift to my son. When he passed, I spent a sad weekend listening to the amazing range of his music. A brilliant musician, a mensch, a big loss to art and society.

5 Likes

I saw a cartoon of a guy tied to a chair, confronted by two hoodlums. “You’d better talk or we’ll play another bass solo!”

EDIT When I wrote that joke, I hadn’t seen Fernando’s tribute to Charlie Haden. I share the sense of loss.

According to the joke I related above, that makes no sense since during the first bass solo the guy tied to the chair would have talked and talked. :grin:

If I may recommend a wonderful non-ECM bass solo recording: http://daveholland.com/recording/ones-all

I’ve been privileged to listen live times to Dave Holland, Charlie Haden, Larry Grenadier, Michael Formanek, Reuben Rogers, … Great bass work, solo or ensemble, brings a depth that one can’t find any other way.

4 Likes

Try Bach’s Cello Suites :slight_smile: (You probably have).

Thanks for sharing, don’t know this Dave Holland album yet, will check it out!

Thanks for the Holland recommendation.
Among all these great bass solo contributions, what about a double?

4 Likes

That said, I more often like bass in a duo setting, often with vocals, rather than solo. (Musician friends tell me it is very demanding on the vocalist, especially a soprano, to sing in tune with the bass, several octaves away.)

But also check out Rufus Cappadocia, who does things with a cello that are not really possible. Here is a solo album:

3 Likes

Speaking of great bass players, saw this group in 2017. The bass solos were transcendent, as was everything else. The recording captures them well. RoonShareImage-636865517163418220

5 Likes

How about 50? Quite a few of these are mentioned in this thread so I thought you might like the link.

https://umusic.digital/gcdojz/?fbclid=IwAR2_N4L5krUz6n6y1_pB35ly4gkiDN4xpPQsFjxcw74bQpO_eCMTpmJ3MWs

I added those I didn’t have to my library from Tidal and created a tag called ECM50TOUCHSTONES so I can get to them at any time. Now will be interesting what Roon Radio does with them.

Wish I could share the album list somehow.

The flipbook at the bottom of the page is great at full screen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the excellent link. But WTF! no “Conference of the Birds”! Really how could they :confused:

3 Likes

Interesting list.
Thanks.
And to my surprise, I had only half of them.
I used to be a big ECM fan.
But that was before the days of Tidal and Qobuz, and albums cost money, and completing the collection was not casually undertaken.
And recently, my net is cast wider. ACT. The French. And Americans.
Nowadays, all it cost me is some clicks.
And a lot of listening time.
Modern days…

Really? The French ahead of The Americans? We are talking about jazz, are we not, so therefore the Americans (Miles, Duke, Louie, Basie, Evans, Ella, Hancock, Corea - to name but a very small few) should always get top billing. :cowboy_hat_face:

+1 for ACT