Your favourite albums?

My alltime favourite artist - David Sylvian (ex Japan). Sylvian has collaborated with Ruyichi Sakamoto, Holger Czukay, Robert Fripp, Derek Bailey, Burnt Friedman to name a few. I recommend also to listen to “Blemish” from 2003 but Sylvian’s finest is “Secrets Of The Beehive” from 1987.

6 Likes

Since I bought Secrets of the Beehive on CD back in, gosh, 1989 or 1990, I guess, It’s been a favourite. Something which gets wheeled out very regularly. A timeless album. It goes with the Talk Talk beauties or Dead Can Dance in terms of ambient wonderfullness (although I have only just discovered Talk Talk and DCD, rather late in the game it must be said :frowning: )

2 Likes

I love the multidisc version of Layla, with the Jams with Duane Allman - those I can’t stop playing :slight_smile: . I hope to goodness one day they’ll release the entire legendary session unedited. How cool would that be? With all the drug and drink infused commentaries, banter and bonhomie which must have gone on.

Sadly we may have to wait until the passing of the great man before we get to hear that treasure :frowning:

The vinyl was my 21 birthday present!!

I had every other format I think

Now 24/96 deluxe

I still play it regularly

Mike

My local radio station, WUMB Boston, has been playing this album a lot, and I agree its special. I was surprised to learn that its not new. Highly Recommended!..Rob

3 Likes

Lovely album. The Re-mix version might upset some purists but I quite like it.

5 Likes

Her latest album Lilies is also excellent…

Agreed. I also have that.

My favorite album of all time :

image https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/GUEST_3d529b84-4810-462a-93bb-d9633ce430e1?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

1 Like

Really started off liking this a lot, until the soprano sax came in and IMHO it is out of tune (and on other tracks as well). Shame. From experience out of tune soprano sax players do not play that horn as their main horn (reminds me of that great out of tune scene from Whiplash), hence me having two soprano saxes and not playing either of them. I suppose for the classic Big Band sound I would recommend:RoonShareImage-636822811696370530

5 Likes

Such a great record, can blow your socks off.

For any Basie “virgins” I would check out any of his albums with Sammy Nestico arrangements. The Atomic Mr Basie has Neal Hefti (of Batman fame) arrangements.

Great opening record!
My very first introduction to jazz, when I got the first revelation of its sense of freedom, was Johnny Hodges playing “On the sunny side of the street” in Ellington’s Paris Concert.

1 Like

All those darker, intimate, introspective records of Haden’s many last years are fantastic -his duos with Jarrett, Metheny, Hall, Mehldau, Gismonti, Rubalcaba, John Taylor.
This one is probably not as well known as those, and one of my favourites. Let’s call it my April choice.

1 Like

This was the first recording with Wynton Marsalis as Jazzmessenger.

3 Likes

According to my Lastfm statistics this must be one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years. Well I think “favourite” is mood dependant but believe it or not I find this pile of noise very relaxing.

Early Beth (Must DVD) Live at Paradiso sit Back and enjoy !!

1 Like

Inwardness …simply a stunning album

3 Likes

I think it’s well past time to necro this thread. I always found it fun.

The first Midnight Oil album. Honestly, whoever gave this three stars would not know if someone was up them with an armful of chairs. This is a rolled gold 5 star album. It’s sinewy and tough, brewed in Sydney pubs, but proudly prog at the same time without becoming self conscious. Jim Moginie is a genius, full stop. Rob Hirst hits the drums like he’s late for something and Peter Garrett croons, groans and screams. I know every bar of it off by heart and have all the air guitar moves down pat.

It’s on Tidal and Qobuz so you’ve got no excuse, but make sure to play it LOUD !

4 Likes