Your favourite albums?

5 Likes

2 Likes

I’ll start with my all time favorite album.

On this album the German band Sieges Even made a stylistic change and got themselves a new singer. Singer Jogi Kaiser has a warm jazz like feel to his voice. The music on this album can be pretty technical but the compositions are still real songs.

The music is a exquisite blend of mid ‘80s Rush, Signals, without the keys, ‘Grace Under Pressure’, and some light touches of jazz. There is a certain calm and tranquillity on this album. Not just in the excellent production but also in the compositions. Whether you will like this album is of course up to you. It may take some time to ‘get it’. You may find that if you invest some time and patience in this album it will pay of in the end.

2 Likes

My favorite for this month

A small note after looking at Tidal for the album: the original album contains only the first 7 tracks, the last three are additions from a new release and didn’t have the quality of the original content

9 Likes

Mikael Seifu is an Ethiopian electronic music producer committed to “Ethiopiyawi Electronic” – a coinage Seifu uses to describe the music he and his peers are producing in Ethiopia’s capital city of Addis-Ababa.

16 Likes

Whilst living in Portugal I fell in love with the genre they call “Fado”. Typically Portuguese folk music. One of my favourite artists amongst many is Mariza and this album is beautiful
great orchestration and what a voice!

7 Likes

Living in Portugal? I envy you so much! Mariza, Ana Moura, Misia, Madredeus, Dulce Pontes, Cristina Branco, Alfredo Marceneiro, the Portuguese have given us some great music, haven’t they? Still, IMHO the most heartwrenching fado is sung by Amália Rodrigues, the Portuguese Maria Callas (to me, that is ;-)).

3 Likes

15 Likes

Easy question. Gretchen Peters, “Gretchen Peters Trio” a live album with Barry Walsh on piano and Dave Francis on bass. Simply perfect, a masterpiece no more to say. Just listen!

1 Like

I consider John Mayer - Born and Raised worthy of mention. I find myself playing it again and again. Although he is a top tier artist I only ‘found’ his music when my interest in music was re-invigorated when I set up my computer music player a few years back.

IMHO there is no dead wood on this album, and I find that once I start playing it I listen from start to finish, which is always a good indicator of a great album.

Thanks @Hector for the heads up on this album. She has a wonderful voice!

Recently signed up to Roon & I am really enjoying the experience.

This is the first thread that caught my eye
great call on Spirit of Eden - excellent album musically & for recording quality.

I look forward to this journey of ‘discovery’ & will contribute some further albums soon

2 Likes

Just what I hoped for from Roon
first night with time to listen properly & discovering great new music.
Many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Discovered this recently
great album & amazing production.

1 Like

When this was released in the mid 70"s I bought this, on vinyl, in the WH Smith store Reading, England and wondered whether it would be any good (I can remember the moment well)
little did I realise that it would be one of my most played albums over the last forty years!

13 Likes

The third studio album for Humble Pie was like a rebirth following the liquidation of the Andrew Loog Oldham managed Immediate Records. They had a new American manager (Dee Anthony) and a new label (A&M).

Where to start ? Perhaps with the cover by Aubrey Beardsley. Regarded as extremely risquĂ© in 1970’s America and still one of my favourite record sleeves.

Then the personnel. Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton. Enough said in that department but the rhythm section (Greg Ridley on bass, Jerry Shirley on drums) truly elevate this album. They contribute songs, vocals and guitars making it a true ensemble recording.

Production by Glynn Johns. Well, what can I say ? Just listen to the opening track “Live With Me”. I still use it to assess sound systems, because I know every nuance off by heart and it sounds great. Glynn did more than capture the performance here, he miked the drums brilliantly and mixed it all into one of the greatest dynamic pieces in modern music (in my opinion). And who would you want to sing such a piece ? Mr “Three Octave Range” Marriott will do nicely thankyou. At one moment pleading and the next raging, its a great performance.

The rest of the album is also very good indeed; but the song order makes you wonder if it was designed to deliberately jar your sensibilities. I tend to re-order the queue when listening to it and stick “Only a Roach” and “Earth and Water Song” at the end.

8 Likes

6 Likes