Your genre system

There are things Roon could do to take things forward relatively easily. Add support for a review tag and review.txt and where it encounters one use that content as the album review by importing its contents into the user’s Roon DB.

In @Jazzfan_NJ’s case his problem is easily solved by running a txt2pdf tool through his music folders. Voila, he’ll immediately be able to view the contents through Roon.

1 Like

You’re right on both fronts.

I’m not a big fan of deep genres since I tend to enjoy lots of music that mixes/crosses genres. For example is electric Miles Davis jazz, rock, fusion, ???
And one off genres, like “symphonic Christian dark doom death speed metal” are pretty much useless.

As Duke Ellington liked to say there are only two types of music - good and bad

Back to the discussion at hand here is link to one of my posts which shows how Roon mishandles user metadata is favor of “provider” metadata: WTF

Ah but you do not know how big my music library is. Let’s just say it would be a lot of work and add a lot of files and is completely unnecessary since adding the ability for Roon to display info.txt is fairly trivial.

Like I said, genres are religion and to each his/her own…

And the topic of this post chain is “Your Genre System” not “How Roon mishandles user metadata” but you’ve made your opinion on roon’s user metadata handling very clear.

Duly noted. :grimacing:

Sorry if that came off cranky @Jazzfan_NJ , didn’t mean for it to. I do understand your frustration with this issue. :slight_smile:

I didn’t and don’t think that you were being cranky. And I should also state that in spite of my frustration with some aspects of Roon, I still really like Roon and enjoy using it immensely.

Until Roon came along there was no real way to manage a streaming local (meaning one’s own collection of music files) music library other than Logitech Media Server or, heaven forbid, iTunes, which are no where near as robust as Roon. Roon has almost single handily made music streaming a workable system for music lovers and audiophiles. Ah audiophiles, now that’s another area of extreme frustration :exploding_head:

1 Like

I had no idea this would be such a Pandora’s box of a topic. I would like to thank you all for teaching me such a lot, and attempt to return to basics.

What I take from this is that I can stick to my own system of tags but cannot expect the world to take any interest. I started with Roon because Spotify stopped me using my own tags and classification system. What would work better for me is for Roon radio (which I love) to use my own tags to generate a playlist instead of the Roon genres. That does not seem a lot to ask especially if the genres, as you experts tell me, are unlikely to be accurate.

Should you ever want to share your genre structure, I would like to hear about it. I haven’t gotten much further than assigning “Rock” or “Classical” tags. That’s because I don’t want to build this edifice and later discover it can’t do X. So I’m a bit stymied.

Good comments all, BTW.

1 Like

@Dick_Cooper – It’s true that your tags won’t be exposed to the rest of the world so they are indeed just for you. If you want to use your own tags in Roon, give it a whirl. You have to go through Settings/Library/Import Settings and make the choices of what to use from your tags versus roon. If you use your genres then you should look at Settings/Library/Genre Mappings and try to map yours to Roons. See how it works for you. In this and almost everything in this crazy audiophile world YMMV and to each their own… You can always undo and go back if you don’t like it …

Yes!!!

This has been a long time request. At this point I’m willing to bet it ain’t happening.

1 Like

Mine is a bit quirky, in classical I define a bit as per Gramophone , 1 orchestral, 2 concerto 3 symphony etc

I then have a custom tag sub genre to split even further eg 5 keyboard _ variations

I use jriver to manage this and select music

It’s a bit like Craig’s genre by track. Of course totaly useless in Roon

It’s why I keep 2 systems live UGH …

Thanks Craig for the suggestions. Time will tell if idiocy is reduced (by which I mean a jazz record followed by George Formby, Kurt Weill and Tchaikovsky)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.