Your Nice Photos - list camera details too if you like [2024]

Arena neighborhood, Antwerp, Belgium

12 Likes

Barn owl in the province of Fryslân, The Netherlands.

12 Likes

Fryslân Boppe. Born and raised there :slight_smile: Nowadays I am living just outside of it in the Kop van Overijssel.

1 Like

12 Likes

More pics from Bali

12 Likes

A hike above Lake Orta in Northern Italy

13 Likes

Being Cornish - in Scotland!

7 Likes

That time of the year for my cactus to be in bloom again.
A lot of potential buds to open up yet, maybe by tonight it will be a real show.

12 Likes

A brief walk to a familiar location (view from Sidmouth Seafront) this morning. Lot’s of sunshine but very chilly…
Chicken Fungus spotted on route…

12 Likes

Travelling down through Falkirk in Scotland today so we had to stop at:

1. The Falkirk Wheel - The only rotary boat lift in the world - used instead of a series of canal locks to both speed passage and minimise the transfer of water:

And from the upper canal side:

1. The Kelpies

17 Likes

And from a couple of days ago at a beach that has formed on the North Sea side of the Churchill Barrier built between Burray and South Ronaldsay in the Orkneys:

Sanderling:

Swallow:

The Churchill Barriers were build by Italian POW’s during the first years of the WWII ostensibly in order to improve access to the southern islands. Of course the fact that they also helped to protect the Home Fleet moored in Scapa Flow from U-Boat attack (after Commander Prien in U-47 sunk HMS Royal Oak) was immaterial (The Geneva Convention prevented POW’s from being used for War Works).

19 Likes

Great place the Orkneys Wade. Spent 2 weeks there in ‘19 and also had 2 weeks in Shetland in ‘17.

Reminds me to go though my photos again.

The construction of the barriers raised legal and ethical questions because the Geneva Convention stipulated that POWs should not be employed in tasks directly related to military operations, known as “war work.” Despite this, the construction proceeded under the guise of civilian infrastructure development, thus ostensibly adhering to the letter, if not the spirit, of international law. The barriers were completed in 1944 and continue to serve as both a historical landmark and functional causeways connecting the islands.

That’s more or less what I was saying in my slightly sarcastic way. I should have added a winkie :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry @Wade_Oram I totally missed that line :man_facepalming:

On the subject of the Italian POWs in Orkney, the Italian Chappel, build by the POW’s to give them a place for workship (no R.C. churches nearby) is amazing. The pictures are not that great but show that is was constructed from two Nissen Huts and the interior is all painted.

12 Likes

Today was a nice day to visit some local critters.

9 Likes

My adopted daughter has been shopping in Bali.

4 Likes

When Monochrome meets color.

10 Likes

Coincidentally a fan of Robert Galbraith’s “Strike” books? … and particularly The Ink Black Heart?

1 Like