Youtuber claims the NUC is dead - what are we going to run ROCK on now?

Not at all. My main streamer is an i5 7th gen 8 gigs ram on a standard ATX motherboard.

Iā€™ve been using Rock for 4 years on two different pcs neither of which is a NuC.

1 Like

Used NUCs are all over eBay. Pick one up ā€œfor insuranceā€ if youā€™re concerned. Letā€™s not overcomplicate this.

1 Like

Does anyone use ā€œnewā€ NUCs??? :wink: :sweat_smile:

Then again, where do I get my cheap used ones fromā€¦? :thinking:

Theyā€™ll be around for the next decades, Iā€™m sureā€¦

ROCK runs on many platforms (search MOCK here) and could be compiled to run on anything going forward. If Intel were to choose not to go forward with the NUC concept there are plenty of other manufacturers who could provide suitable hardware.

1 Like

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M90n that runs ROCk without any issues. I have ROCK installed in one of the two SSD and Windows 10 in the other. Currently Iā€™m using a NUC 10i7FNHN with ROCK and found no difference between the two.

Given that out of the thirty different variants of the Intel 11th generation of NUCs just two appear to have been discontinued, I hear echoes of Mark Twain here: ā€œThe report of my death was an exaggerationā€ā€¦

4 Likes

If youā€™re in the UK, and in the market for a silent ROCK-running unit, InsideTech will build you one. I have no connection to the company, but have dealt with them and found them to be courteous and knowledgeable. They offer both NUC and non-NUC options.

1 Like

I have tried ROCK on three Intel-based computers and none of them were a NUC. ROCK is only guaranteed to work on the NUC platform because it only supplies a limited amount of chipset drivers but as it seems the Intel chipsets donā€™t differ much from each other and are all based on the same basis, the chances are the drivers just work. It runs exactly the same as Roon core on Windows, macOS, or Linux and it sounds 100% identical no matter what computer, no matter which OS. So all in all, it is not necessary to use ROCK to run Roon and it is not necessary to use a NUC to run ROCK. The only advantage of ROCK on a NUC is that it is self-maintained. You never have to do any OS upgrade and you have a 100% guarantee it will be supported by Roon. Other than that every other solution works just fine, that is when Roon works and isnā€™t slow as hell like it is lately.

I feel Roon is too blasĆ© to develop Rock for a Nuc 11 anyway. So already, in the Roon landscape a Nuc 11 doesnā€™t exist. You need to move 5 years back to a Nuc 7 or at the very best a Nuc 10. In other words, theyā€™re not developing Rock to be compatible with any Nucs after 10, and why would they? When they have their Nucleus for sale. Based on a Nuc 10. Why would they develop Rock for a later Nuc that is more powerful and more energy efficient? Upsetting to me, but understandable if Rock is a free OS. Even if we have all payed through the proverbial ass for a year, or lifetime subscription.

1 Like

I heard from a guy on YouTube that Apple is making a NUC based on the M1 chip :rofl:

3 Likes

Not cheap as chips :fries: surely? ā€¦ MacNuccets :hamburger: anyone?

Roon OS 2.0 is already being doneā€¦I fully expect it to support new intel NUC options.

Nuc 10i7 available in South Africa, the guy I spoke to said they have loadsm

@Danny has specifically stated that he is actively working on UEFI support, which will allow use of NUC11 devices.

The UEFI is working, but Iā€™m having trouble with ethernet drivers and USB-C ports. Still on it.

13 Likes

Love that you are hacking Danny. Imagining late nights, but what do I know.

Good luck and Godspeed!

@danny, What Linux kernel will the new Rock be based on?
Something current? Like 5.13? The current Rock runs quite an old and custom modified Kernel.

Also, other than being an easy install/appliance solution, what benefit will the updated Rock solution have over Ubuntu server/Core?

I usually try to proceed with the latest long-term supported build that doesnā€™t give me known issues. The current ROCK is running 5.7.9, which broke that rule (it was newer than long-term), because I needed some DSD stuff from it. Unfortunately, that bit us in the CD-ROM stability.

To consider 5.7.9 ā€œold and custom modifiedā€ is hyperbolic and does donā€™t convey reality very well.

All the same advantages as before, and all the downsides as before.

1 Like