Zerotier and roon remote

(nate lynch) #1

if anyone has been successful in geting Roon to work remotely (outside of the house from a mobile device) using zero tier (https://www.zerotier.com/) to work? I’m on a Mac hosting the roon core, and remote endpoints are iphone, ipad, computer. there’s multicast wizardry involved that is beyond my networking skills of today, but if anyone has gotten it working and would like to help me, I’ll document for the community with screenshots.

Access outside of network?
Can I control Roon remotely from a different network (home vs. work)?
Remote connection via VPN - [Resolved] but ongoing discussion
(Chris) #2

Nope, never heard of them.

However, you can use SSH port tunneling with a SSH App on Android (and I assume on an Apple phone as well) and if you set up NAT port forwarding on your Router/Firewall so that you can connect via SSH remotely to some system on your LAN in the same segment as your Roon core, then that’d work.

Perhaps that is exactly what Zerotier does for you, they sell you a box and a VPN membership.

You’re not going to be able to avoid the fact that RAAT is a pretty hungry protocol, regardless of how you tunnel in from outside your network.

I run ZeroTier. Works just fine for running the Roon Remote from a different physical network from the Roon Core. You must run ZeroTier directly on the Roon systems (both Remote and Core); it won’t work when using a single node to bridge an entire network to ZeroTier.

There isn’t anything to configure with regards to multicast; the default settings work out of the box.

(FWIW, I only use ZeroTier on Linux, Windows and OSX. I’ve never tried the mobile ZeroTier client.)

(Niccolò Terzi) #4

i have just found out this, and i’ll give a try.
i used to connect via OpenVPN, but now it does not work anymore, so i’m looking for another solution

(Niccolò Terzi) #5

it seems that IT WORKED!
i have to check from my office, but i tried to connect at home via a routing mobile (i.e. an external network) and i could connect with no problem to my home network.
roon core recognized immediately, streaming via mobile.

configuration:
roon core on a win 7 PC, roon player on a Win10 PC
no need to configure anything
no need to change firewall settings
everything simple

thanks for this suggestion, that is going to be definitive (multiplatform).

(nate lynch) #6

glad you got it working, i’m on roon core on a mac mini and haven’t gotten it working yet. i do know enough about networking to know i have the packets going through the ZT tunnel, but there is a multicast aspect that I can’t figure out yet that must work differently on Mac.

(Niccolò Terzi) #7

anyway… as everything is out there ready for remote streaming, we all hope in a native roon way to work it out

(Niccolò Terzi) #8

I can confirm now that ZeroTier works perfectly.
i’m using it now between my Win7 Roon Core and a remote Win10 laptop, and stream with no problem.
No configuration needed (vs previous OpenVPN solution, whiche required quite a work in configuration and then stopped working when i changed the router), even no firewall problems…

I could not make it work with the android mobile (with sim data), but i did not try to explore …