Zones freeze randomly

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC8i7 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB SSD storage ROCK Roon 1.7 Build 528

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Network Google Mesh WiFi, and ethernet; Broad band 70Mbps download speed

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian ID41 via wifi; Meridian MC200 via ethernet; Squeezbox Touch via wifi

Description Of Issue

Since build 528 installed, randomly after 30 minutes to several hours of playing a zone will freeze. The zone will still be fully accessible through the Zone list and through the volume control and DSP etc., but nothing will play. The progress bar stays at 0:00. The only solution to get the zone working again is to reboot the ROCK core. Until Build 528, the system was solid and would play for days and weeks without intervention.

While that zone is frozen the same track will play through any of the other zones.

Hi @hecd2,

Does this behavior occur across all of your zones, or does it impact one zone in particular?

I would try creating a Backup of your current database and then performing a reinstall of ROCK OS via the Web UI:

Hi @noris - The behaviour has occurred on three zones, both squeezebox and Meridian zones. I have not noticed it on some other zones, but I don’t play them very often. I have reinstalled ROCK OS as you suggested. I’ll report back if the behaviour happens again or in any case after a couple of days - it will take a while to be sure that the problem is resolved as it can take a while to manifest.

1 Like

Hi @hecd2,

Sounds like a plan. If you have further issues please note the exact local time + date + track of the issues occurrence in case we need to go down the diagnostics route.

@noris just to say that I have seen no repeat since reinstalling the ROCK OS so far. Will keep monitoring.

1 Like

@noris I had an reoccurrence of the issue today 26th April playing Chateau de Sable from Rokia Traore’s album Wanita between 18:30 and 19:00 British Summer Time to my ID41 zone. Subsequently nothing would play to the zone (progress bar reverted to start of track,no movement on the progress bar after pressing play, although the play indicator next to the track showed as playing). Eventually I restarted the core at 23:30 and the rest of the album played wihout a problem.

Hi @hecd2,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp. Can I please ask that you access your Core logs by using these instructions and upload the log set to Dropbox / Google Drive and post a link here? If you don’t have either service, just let me know and I can provide an alternate upload destination.

@noris

Thanks for your reply

Here is the link to the logs as requested:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Lc6flukrq5xwBhAhi_btT3ryT3MDP6pC?usp=sharing

1 Like

Hello @hecd2,

Thanks for sending that log package over. I looked through it and it appears that Chateau de Sable was playing as expected until it reached 3:48 into the track, and then it appeared to be stuck at this time.

Can I please request that you let me know the timestamp and send a new set of logs when this issue occurs on a non-meridian zone, such as your Squeezebox Touch or an iOS/Android remote speakers?

@noris, I have had no further occurrences on any endpoint since the last post, so I think it has either been solved or at least is now so infrequent as not to be a problem. So I think we can close. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

That’s fantastic news @hecd2, do let us know if there’s any further issues and we can take another look if so.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.