Allo Reclocker, DAC & Amp for Raspberry Pi

Thanks for that Dan…handy to know…I will maybe get brave and test the Kali with my IQAudIO DigiAMP+ board…when I get a minute in the coming days - busy rebuilding one to run with Volumio too (but I guess you don’t want to hear that) :blush: so will test it with that setup too

1 Like

Well, tried the JustBoom DAC HAT with HAT switch on on Kali, no joy. Module must be specific to Allo DAC’s.
Either way, i’am personally happy using the Piano 2 DAC with Kali. They have been designed to work in perfect harmony.

Maybe Boom needs 3,3v ?
Kali does not pass 3.3v (its too dirty to be used)

I have the Piano 2.1 and the Volt but the stack is so high that its hard to fit into a slim chassis - I wish they could have the Kali and the IQAudIO DigiAMP type arrangement rather than having to use Piano and Volt … as it means 2 boards plus another power supply to add to the equation. Sigh

Hi Paul ,

I completely agree with you …the stack is a bit high. However our goal was never the height or “looks” of the product. Our main concern was and it is sound quality. The main concern is that by using a DAC + AMP on same IC quality of both is somewhat reduced. Furthermore by using a switcher (dc to dc convertor) on the amp PCB, you are introducing switching noise next to analog signal…that was not acceptable to us. So what we did…we created a new LLC dual PSU 19v 75w (6mv of noise ) and 5V/15W galvanic isolated to take care of this problem (multiple PSU). We will have it for sale around Feb. Also we will house the whole stack (actually broken in 2 ) on a custom alu box…

1 Like

Hi Johan

Nice to see another Allo face here.

I’ll push some buttons on Andre and see if there is some more on the new dual PSU and casing…could be just what the dr ordered.

My prototyping setup is somewhat cumbersome right now as you can see. Before I even get the rest of the stack in there.

Im playing Roon via a Volumio Build on Rasperry Pi 3 with roon bridge installed and its doing OK…but the odd pause here and there maybe due to Volumio indexing 8TB os library simultaneously :blush:

Been also playing with DietPi and Roon Bridge which was working pretty well but the wifi I couldn’t get happening @Dan_Knight - it would install and respond to a ping on both Ethernet and wifi but disconnecting the Lan killed both IP addresses.

Given the products development cycle I guess improvements will always be possible in time. I do like to support local developers too…while India is not immediately near me its in the region which is always nice.

Ethernet is still the primary connection, even when unplugged, as the routing is not updated. You’ll need to either (once WiFi is setup and connected):

• disable the Ethernet adapter in dietpi-config
  • reboot and unplug ethernet.

WiFi will now be the primary connection and functional.

My prototyping setup is somewhat cumbersome right now as you can see.

Looks awesome :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan… is this different on the Sparky?

from the dietpi.txt file on the SD build I read this

#If both Ethernet and Wifi are enabled, Wifi will take priority and Ethernet will be disabled.

Perhaps this is different in sparky? Also the wifi dongle never lit any less up on it…maybe it only looks like it has some? Id like to have wifi working, but was to chicken $#!7 to disable it in case I had to refresh everything again - not that its so bad if I did have to I guess.

Ill give that a go anyway.

Same for all our DietPi images. We recommend using only 1 connection at a time. Running both Wlan and Eth may cause issues, and should only be used as a way to switch over adapters in dietpi-config

from the dietpi.txt file on the SD build I read this

The Network settings which can be changed here, are only active during 1st run setup. This is to allow users to pre-define any network settings, after writing the image, and before booting it up for the 1st time.

Handy for having WiFi settings applied to system on 1st boot.

On the Sparky, I’ve tested the provided WiFi dongle from Allo, and, Edimax Nano USB (RTL8188CUS). Both of these are fully functional.

@Paul_Chatfield

When you plug in the USB WiFi adapter, does it show up in?:
lsusb

XI’m surprised about inconsistency in this project to achieve hi quality audio.

• You use the best DAC with reclocker in market, and try to run it from linear PSU to have stable and low noise power.
  • At the same time you try to use it through WiFi that is adding massive noise directly to power line and through RF to DAC chips
  • And on you use Volumio that has unnecessary processes running in parallel to provide graphic screen and mange library that are disrupting processing of audio stream

To have quality audio would propose not only to use exclusively Ethernet, but moreover completely switch off in the configuration all WiFi and BT modules, and run on DietPi single process of Roon Bridge.

DAC is DAC, not server or web browser.

Janis

Janis, I am testing a number of different things…what I end up with different solutions will be what works best …but I need to listen and see what I like and determine what the best option is for different setups…I appreciate less is more.

I have a perfectly good PS Audio DS Jr and other very nice DACs too…Im learning and experimenting…please don’t ruin my fun with doom and gloom comments…everyone is entitled here to do things any way they see fit…you don’t know what my end game might be…and maybe I haven’t decided yet either but having fun trying things.

@Dan_Knight yes its all working now and LAN is off. Have the Vana setup completed now just not using the LMS yet.

1 Like

@Paul_Chatfield I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to kill your fun playing and trying.

Janis

Hi,

I just did some testing of difference between powering audio chain (reclocker + DAC) from Audiophonics DAC vs Allo KALI.

I tested it with the new Audiophonics DAC ES9018K2M (on 24 bit playback, as that currently only works).

The difference is huge!

Sound quality is OK when power is given to Audiophonics DAC and then goes to a Allo KALI reclocker and RPI.
Sound quality is excellent when power is given to Allo KALI and the is split to Audiophonics DAC and RPI.

Why such dramatic difference?

1. Could be Allo KALI power stabilization/ cleaning circuit is much better then Audiophonics DAC
  2. Could be splitting audio power (reclocker + DAC) from the noisy RPI has significant impact

@Audiophonics and @ALLO_audio_boards to comment

Janis

hello Janis,
I will check with my team.
thanks
Andre

Oh - so it seems you finally got your Audiophonics DAC ES9018K2M replaced, is this true?

I keep my fingers crossed to read any comments/review around sound quality of Piano 2.1 va Audiophonics DAC ES9018K2M. I think this will be very interesting. With and without reclocker of course, if possible.

Many thanks, Marcin

Yes, it is.

Waiting support from @Audiophonics to configure it.

Janis

Read here current status.

Janis

As I am having quite the same dilemma… Did you try Kali + Piano (Piano 2.1 PCM 5142 DAC) against Hifiberry board and compared two of them directly?

See here latest review on Allo and Audiophonics DACs:

1 Like