AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9018K2M - now reviewed

Thanks to @Audiophonics customer service team!
Today I received new image, and could finally run the DAC.

It kind of works - plays both 16 and 24 bit files now.

Three comments:

1. On start emulationstation.sh is giving failed error or is not found on launch, varying on restarts
  2. After launch on the screen I see “A,1,95,1” being nonstop pushed, and I can’t stop it
  3. On Audiophonics web it is marketed that ES9018K2M has these capabilities:
  • d’accéder à la Haute Résolution 32bit 384KHZ directement compatible sur Rapsberry-Pi
  • conversion numérique analogique PCM (32bit /384khz Max) avec lecture DSD non native

In current image with 384 kernel installed it only supports up to 192kHz, as well DSD 64 playback (even in 352.8 kHz PCM) is not supported (not speaking about DSC or DOP) - DSD only works with downconverter PCM stream to 176.4 kHz that is below the marketed specs…

Seems Audiophonics main problem is that ESS Technology doesn’t allow Audiophonics to have driver support for ES9018K2M on Raspberry Pi.

The limited hifiberry overlay doesn’t allow to run at 384 kHz and neither promised DSD playback even at comparable PCM rate… That leads to false marketing and messed up product, not speaking about physical patch wiring required for different setups (that normally should be SW configured), and the complex serial drive workaround the DAC usage is tumbling over.

I really hope on the very kind @Dan_Knight support to make embedded DietPi support. Also I hope @Audiophonics succeeding to resolve driver support with ESS Technology to have functional (to promised 384 kHz & DSD performance) and out of box easy to set-up DAC.

Later this week I will review and report on audio quality performance of Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9018K2M.

Janis

1 Like