Audio devices gone after update

Hi @Brad_Burnside ---- Thank you for the follow up, I am glad to hear that the test yielded a positive result.

Moving forward, I would also like to have you conduct this test on on your NUC as well. I understand based on your earlier post that you had tried this already, but I am wondering if RoonServer was not stopped before performing that test and that’s why there was an issue.

May I kindly ask you to please perform the following:

1. Close all instances of the application on your devices.

2. Power up your NUC.

3. Access the web UI and “stop” Roon Server.

1. It should now read (in red): “Not Running”.
  • I would minimize this page as you are going to have navigate back here.
  1. Access ROCK’s Data folder (here) and rename your database to Roon_old.

2. Go back to the web UI and “restart” Roon server.

3. Launch the application on another device and let us know how it holds up!

-Eric

Looks good so far. I’m playing TIDAL right now. I’ll add my USB-connected music drive next.

In the past, I’ve had to leave that drive turned off until the NUC is up on the network to then use local music files. Where do we go from here? Do you still believe that the NUC hardware could be bad? What caused the fatal corruption?

Hi @Brad_Burnside — Thank you for touching base with me and providing a status update. Pleased that you are streaming TIDAL content successfully.

Moving forward, I would still like to have you try again with a fresh install on the NUC, as this will help aide in determining if the problem is occurring on a hardware or software level. And as for what could have caused the corruption in the first place, it is tough say.

-Eric

Please walk me through a fresh install on the NUC: Does this mean a reinstall of the Operating System with the web UI?

Also, what about the need to power up the directly-connected music data USB drive only AFTER the NUC in up & running on my network?

I will use the Mac Pro in the meantime.

@Brad_Burnside ---- Apologies if my wording was confusing, when I mention a “fresh install” what is being referenced is starting with a new database. You can use the steps in my previous post to perform this task.

Can you please provide some further insight into this statement:

“Also, what about the need to power up the directly-connected music data USB drive only AFTER the NUC in up & running on my network?”

As this was not mentioned in your initial report I want to have a better understanding of this behavior. Things to consider…

• Has this device always behaved this way when mounted to the NUC? If not, what changed?

• Is it the same when you are using the Mac?

• Have you tried swapping out the USB cable?

• Have tried another USB port on the NUC?

• Have you tested with another USB storage device?

-Eric

Sorry that I haven’t put us through another series of IF, THEN exercises because my Roon is Gone Again this morning.

“Lost Connection! Trying to re-connect…”

Two weeks without a reliable music program is beginning to wear on me.

Hi @Brad_Burnside ---- When you mention that “Roon is gone again” are you referring to your audio devices? The reason I ask is because you mentioned the following:

“Lost Connection! Trying to re-connect…”

Which sounds like a Roon remote is struggling to connect to your Roon core. Please verify, thanks!

-Eric

Hi Eric. Roon is successfully connecting with core on multiple devices right now, so I won’t rock the boat (pun intended) while I deal with house guests and various real-life issues. For the meantime, I can answer two of your questions: Yes, this device has always behaved this way when mounted to the NUC. And Yes, I have tested with another USB storage device connected to a different USB port (with a different cable) on the NUC to observe the same behavior.

Hi @Brad_Burnside ---- Thank you for touching base with me, I am glad things are stable.

Moving forward, I would like to address this behavior you are noticing with the mentioned USB device. Just to make sure I am conceptualizing this correctly, you are unable to get ROCK to see the storage device unless you first power up the NUC and then mount it, correct?

If the above is indeed the case it sounds like a setting in BIOS needs to be adjusted as ROCK could be trying to boot from the USB storage device. Could you please follow the instructions found here - Step #3 and verify that the boot order is correct and that ROCK is not trying to launch via the USB storage unit.

Let me know how it goes!
-Eric