DSP Up-Sampling features in Roon 1.3

Despite Roon, I’ve mutec mc-3+ USB, and Devialet with Burr-Brown SRC43921, where all 3 have up sampling capability.

Which one is superior to do the job?

It depends… Many cheap DACs are cheap not because they chose lower quality DAC chips but because everything else around the DAC is cheaper. External upsampling cannot fix that.

3 Likes

Thank you very much Roon team for adding the improvements to the DSP up-sampling feature. We haven’t had a chance to evaluate it yet, but very excited to do so in the near future.

Significantly improving processing efficiency and introducing native DSD 512 upsampling in a “maintenance release” :sweat_smile:.

It will be very interesting to see how people use the new capabilities. Please post here or in this thread, as the fancy takes you !

Personally I’m hoping for better sound quality. But if they pulled it off with less CPU load, even better!

A fantastic update! I can now upsample to DSD 512 on my late 2014 mac mini.

1 Like

Guys, the latest build 216 and above is actually ‘DSD on steroid’ not only I feel the improvement in sound quality, especially the new SRC/SDM CLANS, it is less workload on the CPU (enable Parallelize SDM). Previously I simply can’t do 44.1k to DSD256 but now I’m able to do so, I even tried at DSD512 and it just able to play through at 1x speed using i5 NUC! There’s also DSD up-sampling too, from DSD64 to DSD512 without having to convert to PCM and back to DSD! Support for 705.6/768k PCM sampling is most welcomed!

Well done! Its just getting better!

Some posts:

44.1k to DSD512:

44.1k to DSD256:

44.1k to DSD64:

44.1k to 705.6k:

Direct DSD512 playback:

Direct PCM 768k playback:

DSD64 to DSD512:

DSD64 to DSD256:

DSD512 to DSD64:

HoloAudio Spring DAC settings:

PCM 705.6/768k for HoloSpring Audio DAC, though supported via ASIO driver on XMOS chipset, the DAC is not able to output any sound, the display shows ‘------’ I’ve contacted Jeff Zhu on this issue and he told me it will be corrected by a future firmware update.

Test tone for DSD512 and PCM 768k can be download from here:

http://www.diyinhk.com/support/DSDTestTone.rar
http://www.diyinhk.com/support/L1kR2kPCM768k24bit.rar

The website: http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/107-xmos-dsd-dxd-768khz-high-quality-usb-to-i2sdsd-pcb.html

3 Likes

@Driftwood: What are your late 2014 mac mini specs?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Upgrading firmware on the Holo Audio Spring

I agree completely! This is a huge improvement.

I configured mine with a 3.0GHz i7-4578U CPU, 16GB of RAM, and 1TB SSD.

And what is the load during DSD 512 ?

I have been testing up sampling and love this feature!

44.1 PCM layer of MOFI SACD to DSD64. Huge improvement. It is close to the SACD layer!

DSD64 to DSD128 - easily audible improvement!

Good job Roon!
Heck these kind of improvements alone are worth the lifetime subscription. Most people in this hobby spend more than that on minuscule and debatable improvements. Take that into account if you are questioning $500 for a “player”. It is much more than that!

Upsampling 44.1kHz FLAC streamed from Tidal to DSD 512 using the 7th order CLANS modulator, it takes somewhere around 110-115% CPU.

Upsampling DSD64 to DSD512 is similar:

I have a late 2012 Mac mini with a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and I am now able to upsample to DSD256 with plenty of headroom left over - running about 25% load overall. My DAC doesn’t support DSD512 but it would probably run around 50% load.

5 posts were split to a new topic: DSD 512 issue on a 2014 Mac mini

I should be able to upsample to DSD512, but I can only upsample to DSD 256: I use Chord Mojo, MicroRendu and a PC ( i7-4790 4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD for Roon DB - music on spinning disks). I fail to se the weak link in this setup.

I’m not sure the Mojo is capable of DSD512. In the manual it says it can do DSD256 via DoP.

@orgel you are right. The manual says DoP DSD256. I did the cardinal misstake of searching Google for “Chord Mojo DSD512”. Of course, Google kindly gave me all the sites with wrong facts, such as this one :blush:

Luckily I have a Hugo 2 on pre-order, which will do native DSD512. I just have to wait a couple of weeks.