ID41 streaming 192kHz from Roon

If I play a 192KHz 24bit file “to” my ID41, Roon down-samples to 96KHz - is that correct (because 96KHz is the highest sample rate that Meridian typically supports) ?

Yep, I’d like to see Meridian support higher but I guess that’s where MQA will fit into the Meridian ECO structure.

This of cause would entail Roon being able to MQA encode > 96kHz non-MQA streams for onward transmission to MQA equipment.

Dont recall seeing mention of on the fly mqa encoding to avoid bandwidth issues in the audio system chain after ‘hitting the home’.

I can see benefit for Meridian if indeed they have a bottleneck in their landscape, but for any other vendor, what would be the usecase?

1 Like

[quote=“rovinggecko, post:3, topic:2455”]
I can see benefit for Meridian if indeed they have a bottleneck in their landscape, but for any other vendor, what would be the usecase?
[/quote]Excluding bandwidth reduction, if that matters to them, then none.

Correct, the Meridian streaming protocol only goes up to 96k.

As of a few months ago (the last time I was in a position to know for sure), the Sooloos products were also down-sampling 192k content to 96k prior to streaming it to ID41/MS200/etc.

I know they have stated plans for handling DSD content. Very curious whether they will convert to PCM (or even MQA) on the software side, or enhance the protocol to support DSD and turn it into PCM further down the chain. They have an interesting set of choices to make.

It occurs to me that the 818v3 and 808v6 have a new digital input decoder card (for MQA and, presumably, DoP). Given this card is patently capable of 176k (for 64Fs DoP via USB), I wonder if the ID41 will be able to receive >96k and pass the digital to the decoder? OTOH, Meridian might just implement MQA-encapsulation in the Sooloos core.

Knowing Meridian, they generally want the 8xx-series products (8x8 especially) to get the raw bits (DoP in this instance). It would seem silly and “unbalanced” to only allow this via USB, unless they are satisfied that DSD to MQA conversion in the Sooloos Core will be the match of the 8x8 (which I doubt).

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. It would be better to send the original stream.

It was suggested to me that Meridian found greater than 96k counter-productive because it introduced more jitter. Meridian is unusual in that it runs synchronous digital signals over relatively long cables, to the speakers; other systems use SPDIF or USB for short distances and analog speaker cables.

Although it seems odd to me since Meridian reclocks the signal in the DSP speakers, with triple FIFO buffering. Why would jitter matter?

I don’t think that that was the reason and I have a recollection that Meridian simply didn’t see any justification for going higher than 2x sample rates. Clearly, that has changed.

Indeed, this was the Meridian standpoint, until the advent if MQA.
One of the basics under the increased quality is the improvement of timing and this apparently needs a higher bitrate.
So, they have changed their minds (publicly).

I had my 818 upgraded to v3 today (along with updating my 7200SE’s to latest firmware), and was disappointed that Roon still downsamples 192khz content that I play to my ID41. I was told by the installer that streaming > 96khz content is now supported by Sooloos, but apparently not yet Roon. Any idea when this will be available?

It’s not supported by Sooloos yet. The USB and SPDIF inputs on the 818v3 accept 192k, but not the ID41.

Unless the ID41 is capable of receiving >2x sample rates (and there is no indication at the moment that it is), then a software upgrade to the Sooloos core will be required to “encapsulate” 4x and higher PCM using MQA technology. This can then be streamed by Sooloos at 96k or less to Meridian audio endpoints.

Here’s the stinger… Will Meridian allow Roon to do the same? (i.e. MQA-encapsulate >96k material).

There is a “workaround”, but it comes at the expense of volume control via Roon: simply connect a Mac, PC, or (soon to come) a Squeezebox Touch with EDO plugin to the 818v3’s USB input.