Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

Finally finished my 2 Ropieee touch-screen endpoints on RPi 4Bs.

I’m a bit of a tidy freak, and didn’t want lots of cables, so PoE was the way I wanted to go. I also wanted to add a cooling fan to keep the RPi and also the PoE hat cool.

Picked up a couple of Noctua 60mm 5V fans and grilles and modded them into the rear cases.

The RPis are fitted with Geekworm P-165 PoE compatible heatsink cases.

PoE HATs came from the Pi Hut and are fanless. I’ve read lots of reviews about fan cooled PoEs being really noisy.

The first problem I came across was that even with the deeper display case, there just wasn’t quite enough clearance for the fan with the PoE HAT mounted to the RPi.

So I had to get creative and mount the HAT remotely:

The hat has a set of output pins which are perfect for powering the display.

It was then just a case of making up some Du Pont jumpers ( I have a crimping kit from Amazon) to connect everything together:

There are spare power headers for the fan too:

The unit in my office has the fans on the 5V header (there’s a server rack in the corner, so the fan noise is insignificant); in the lounge the fan was audible from my listening seat, so I swapped it over the the 3.3V header. Airflow is still good and it’s now inaudible.

I know the RPis can be run hot, but as someone who did a lot of PC overclocking in my younger days, I try to be kind to electronics and keep the temperature down!

4 Likes