2022 Remaster of Dire Straits - Money for Nothing, sounds terrible

Can’t get the album to show up in Roon versions so far.

Added it to Tidal and I will play on Tidal Direct tonight but sounds like it is already generally agreed

The 2022 remaster sounds great on Tidal MQA. Bob Ludwig knows how to deal with such projects

1 Like

After reading the conversation here gave a listen to Sultan’s through my inexpensive Sennheisers. Compared original on Qobuz to this new version–yuck to the new. What did they do to the snare drum? It sounds like mike overload and a poor tracking cartridge…will stick with the older better version.

1 Like

The musical masterpiece has been destroyed

Many of you are correct. The ones stating this is good is plain wrong or have an “agenda”

4 Likes

Unfortunately, this remaster is a perfect example of failure.
There is no excuse for a failure of this magnitude.

3 Likes

One more bad example “The Black-Man´s Burdon”. I heard feature/documentary in German radio a while ago, talking about sound quality etc. That discussion confirmed: sound engineers sometimes playing to much with their controls.

1 Like

Thank you for the link. In summary they say the CD version from 1988 is the best one to have. So much for progress… :disappointed:

3 Likes

Thankfully that’s the one I have and I will stick with (not that I tend to listen to greatest hits album’s often).

I listened to it last night using Tidal Connect (Roon still wouldn’t show it for me). It’s not as bad as I was expecting given all the talk, but certainly not good and a step backwards.

I remember a similar issue with Alchemy live as well. Took me a long time to find the right version to replace my old cassette version.

@Michael_Harris I think we are more often in search of the original. Sometimes the crackle of the old LP is simply missing and the cult of always improving everything is market-driven, but rarely implemented as perfectly as the marketing strategists propagate. The sound engineer was not successful here even for my old ears. How do the Dire Straits describe it: “Money for nothing”.

1 Like

Nice pun there Uwe.

Given all the modern equipment and wonderful monitor speakers and headphones for listening too the music, it has to be a deliberate decision to reduce the dynamic range and compress the hell out of it to make it louder.

I just finished reading the article posted and that’s not a good look for the music industry, not that they care I guess.
Maybe the hipster youngsters are loving it, but I am not sure they are.

2 Likes

Now that we’ve read the article (thanks for sharing @Ole_Nilsen), we can all agree that the vinyl remaster sounds better than the hi-res digital version of this remaster :sweat_smile:

I said this from the start :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Fair enough to you, you did from the beginning (even as I jokingly called you a vinyl schill :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

But given everything else, might you have been better off buying an original vinyl (or even CD). Or this even more expensive on the second hand market?

A lot of work went into that article in fairness, and it has to have a fairly small market of reader’s, so more power to them

No never, you can keep you snap crackle and pop, surface noise, rumble, wow and flutter, end of side distortion and thin pressings made from recycled vinyl.

Part of the problem is that mixes are now made to be listened to on ear-buds thanks to Spotify and the rest. I thought the idea was that separate mixes would go to these companies for that purpose but clearly not in this case. Everybody gets the brick-walled version. Money for nothing indeed.

Eac started in 98 ish and flac was only about 2/3 years later.

Never got around to buying the original and I’ve had it in my Discogs wish list for a long time.

I preordered the vinyl when I saw it’s a Ludwig/Grundman reissue and also spread on 2 discs.

To be fair, the vinyl sounds great to me and have zero regrets.

1 Like

Well that’s all that matters :+1:

1 Like

Funnily the following popped up on my Reddit favs today:

Very good answer to this very question. The answer… Tonns of compression for the loudness war.

Sadly, this is far from unusual. I keep saying it so forgive if you’ve heard my rant before, but, mastering is more important than the resolution. A well mastered 16/44.1 can sound many times better than a horribly done 24/192.

7 Likes

Here’s the DR of the original CD.

Same experience with Peter Gabriel’s So. The original CD from 1988 sounds much much better than the shiny remaster released in 2002, even at 96/24. No comparison, the remastered version loses all the magic.
As far as I know, there are only the remastered version and the “special edition” on Qobuz (same remastered plus some live track). Luckily, I have the original CD!