A memory leak in RoonAppliance?

Interesting with this memory leak situation… I built a Roon Bridge using Ubuntu server and this thing ate memory like a beast. My Bridge device didn’t have a lot of memory to begin with so it was an issue. It would run of memory out and then just stop responding.
However, I rebuilt this Bridge with a Debian Minimal Release (no GUI etc) and guess what - no more memory leak. Not only is it using less memory overall to begin with - it doesn’t keep eating memory either.
So is this an OS consideration? In this case both a “Linux” release but one seems to behave and the other does not.

I run 3 different Ubuntu Server Roon cores on 3 different locations. Except for one short memory burst on one of the servers that disappeared after an Ubuntu update, I never had this issue. My suspicion is that some library behaves differently in different contexts, likely allocating and never releasing buffers for something or other. Some folks have suggested that it has to do with IPv6: when they turned it off, memory growth went away. I don’t rely on IPv6 for the most part.

I currently use a minimal Debian installation and was still getting the memory usage issues. I set the “vm.swappiness = 0” setting in /etc/sysctl.conf and things immediately improved, that was about 4 months ago now and symptoms have not returned once.

I’ve disabled the IPv6 and Roon Server is still snacking on the RAM.

I have barely used Roon in the past 24 hours and it’s just sitting there with its new 6GB limit. It’s crept up to 5.2GB already. Because I’ve only played about 5 tracks today I can’t comment much on reliability but it’s not randomly quit today. I have added quite a few new FLAC albums to the library so it’s done a little work cataloguing things.

TO BE CLEAR - NO PROBLEMS AT THIS POINT. I’m just giving an update in case my experience helps others.

Another update, Roon still running OK on my Ubuntu server and memory usage has dropped overnight to 4.9GB and I’ve played music via Arc on my iPhone all day. So, that’s a first for me.

1 Like

I’ve had to do a hard reboot of my MacMini. After 3 days it wouldn’t react to keyboard and mouse and the HDMI connected screen stayed off.

After a fresh boot Roon uses 1.3 gb of RAM according to BTOP. but after a day it’s sitting close to 6 gb. My Mini only has 8 gb of RAM and that should normally be more than enough with a library of 32.5k tracks.

Linux Mint 21.2. Fully updated.

I’ve moved my Mini so it has access to Ethernet instead of Wifi. IPv6 disabled. And the RAM usage of Roon has been sitting around 1.6 / 1.7 gb for over a week now. Roon doesn’t seem to eat the available RAM anymore.

My Core has been going rock solid, quick and responsive all week.

1 Like

3 weeks have passed since I set the memory limit as described above. I’ve had maybe 2 random instances of music stopping on its own. That’s epic compared to the multiple failures every few hours prior to the memory limit. I didn’t change anything else at all in my config.

I’m connecting to roon on a mac using roon rock and have gotten a few messages from my mac that my operating system is running out of memory and presents me with all the apps running and it is roon that is taking gigs of memory. This has happened several times, maybe once a week.

2 Likes