A Simple Question about SACDs

Yup. I created an eBay search for these. Here’s a link:

No guarantees, but they are inexpensive enough that it may be worth taking a risk.

1 Like

Thanks ,I’m trying again to buy an ebay player. I’ll know if I’ve got a functioning player by next week.

1 Like

May I add the DAC as an important part of the question about sound differences between PCM and DSD?
My DAC ( T+A DAC8 ) got two Converters, one for each format. The DSD part for me sounds better, that might be the SACD Sound you referred to. At least that much better, that I’am taking the effort to buy SACD’s and ripping them.

Andreas

1 Like

You could use Roon to convert PCM to DSD during playback, get regular CDs and save money on music and storage.

The assumption is that the SACD mastering and content on the SACD layer offers better sound quality than standard CDs. I’m not sure that this is universally true, but that’s what all of the fuss is about.

3 Likes

Understood. I still think it would be an interesting experiment to play the ripped CD layer and use Roon DSP to up-sample to DSD64 and see if it makes any difference, as an attempt to verify @andreas_sigloch’s suggestion that the DAC itself may be responsible for differences.

Yeah. That would be interesting…results seem to vary from disc to disc. I have some SACDs where the CD and SACD layers are completely different recordings.

2 Likes

The reason they probably say this, is that creating masters in DSD is very difficult and expensive. But more and more studios do this as DSD is superiour done correctly. Then again, well produced PCM masters will be better when converted to DSD. The reason is simply that the upsampling and/or DA gets far better when done with DSD. DSD can almost be sent directly to the amp without DA conversion as it is almost analog by nature.

First, DSD is already up-sampled. Then, up-sampling and delta-sigma modulation to produce a high frequency 1-bit (DSD) or multi-bit signal is an internal part of the D/A process in almost all [decent] DACs these days. If you think DACs are not good at doing this, you can set up Roon or HQPlayer to do it during playback and send DSD to the DAC. There is no good reason to publish DSD or store it in the library.

That’s one of the most clever marketing pitches, I have to give it to them. What they don’t say is that you always need to get the digital signal to an “almost-analog” nature before the D/A stage, regardless of the original format. A thermometer-coded multi-bit signal is no farther from analog than DSD, in the sense that they only need to be low-pass-filtered.

Yes this method of ripping dsd with oppo is correct and works fine.They are extracted as dsf files .I have rip myvall library and listen in my Roon library.
The only problem is finding the correct oppo with their software not updated to newer version.

DSD is not analog at all, but their single bit
flow equals analog quality with more advantages in the management of the data from the local storage library to the management by ROON setting ROON to dsd to no conversion , so the dac can reproduce it.No need to upsample at all.
Normal dsd extract from Sacd are dsf 128kbit.
DSD downloaded go up to 256 k bits.
Instead of the dinamic range limitation in the LP the DSD have more enough dinamic range with equal fidelity as the best LP.
On top of that presen recording in dsd are much much superior than previous recordings.
Having said above it is easier for dac to manage dsd but finally the quality of listening PCM at higher rates of 96khz and DSD are equal.
The MQA is an invention to try to stream at the same quality of master and dsd.
DSD can not until now be streamed due to high volumen of data.Which is stupid I thinks thousand and millions of people are ready to pay more to get streaming in dsd in order to get original quality of sacd recordings.

What do you mean by 128kbit? Bit rate? Stereo DSD bitrate is about 5.6Mbps.

1 Like

Gard.
Never a DSD can be send to an amplifier ,impossible.An amplifier does not work with data but with analog signals. All of them.The preamplifiers included in the dacs they yes work with data, but they convert it to analog.
You must to convert to Analog before sending to a pre or poweramp.
You convert at the final step DSD to do DA conversion.
You do not convert pcm to dsd at all, for better quality. A higher than 96khz pcm can be ear at equal quality as a dsf 128.But the advantages of DSD recording are much higher quality.
SACD have the dsd master quality which another level than a normal 16 or 24 bit cd.

I end up with DSD 64 files whatever bitrate that translates into.

I rip mine with a Pioneer that I bought on EBay.

one thing is the speed of data flow and another is the fequency of sample rate in PCM or the amount of single bits which constitue the dsd flow.Two completly different matters.
The dsd transmit the information of frequency in music .DSD does it using the amount of bit changing as per frequency.Not correctly explained but an approach.Is like FM and AM,FM transmit information changing frecuency and AM changing Amplitud of the wave.The speed of transmission of FM AM is light speed.
So in hifi better you get Gigabit network to allow good transmision of the flow but itcis another and separate matter from frecuency and bits rate.DSD maximun is today 256K.Normal dsf I extrac from sacd are 128.

yes as well pioner is a good option.It worth the investment.

Sorry, I still don’t get what 256K is.

Yes, very confusing, what he’s writing…
If you extract a SACD, you will get DSD64 (2,8224 MHz = 64 × 44,1 kHz as sampling rate).
Recording can be done until DSD256, but you can also download DSD512 files.

It is simple. BDP-103, BDP-103D, BDP-105 and BDP-105D are the only Oppos that work and there is no updated firmware that interferes with this process.