Adding a high end DAC to Nucleus, is this all I need for a great setup?

I just want to say a huge thank you to all those who have given their kind comments and advice to my OP.

I now have the Roon Nucleus and my X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC setup. The sound is wonderful :+1:

I am now in the process of transferring the music files from my eight year old Qnap NAS. (It say’s 7 hours) to the Samsung SSD installed in the Nucleus. Cheers guys.

12 Likes

It’s been an entertaining ride… :wink:

1 Like

And wishing you many more years of happy Roon listening! :grinning:

2 Likes

There are workarounds and several gadgets that clean up the USB connection. The newer generation USB is actually pretty decent now and continuing to improve. Schiit just came out with another upgrade. I’m not certain I could tell the difference in jitter between I2s and a good USB connection and I have both available. I listen mostly with good quality headphones and amplification. The are technical limits to your hearing. That kind of stuff just gets in the way of music enjoyment.

@xxx is actually is quite knowledgeable. Try not to get personal with other users. I can see the heat rising off of your posts.

Cheers.

@maximasr

2 Likes

Schiiit has just come out with an upgraded USB, better than Gen 5. Might be worth a look.

UNISON is the name of the new USB module, It is available with the new Bitfrost. Upgrades should follow sometime soon.

1 Like

Yep, I’m aware of it. I still don’t believe the USB is the main shortcoming of Nucleus direct to USB and I would not expect Unison to close the gap. Both my streamers sound superior, over wifi, coax or xlr digital, on two different DACS, than Nucleus direct. Sometimes more is more.

1 Like

It’d be interesting to hear your thoughts if you put a Pi4 running Ropieee in the mix as your endpoint.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.