Adding a high end DAC to Nucleus, is this all I need for a great setup?

I meant that you can just plug your DAC into the regular USB output of the Pi 4, so there’s no need for a USBridge at all.

So what’s confusing me here is what exactly people think Makes these upmarket streamers (auralic, bluesound etc) mystically so much better than a direct USB connection.

Streamers also have CPU’s, memory, power supplies and all sorts going on. What makes them so much “quieter”. The real answer electronically is, not a lot. But they sure do cost more.

Again, if someone can point out some measured performance gains from adding in a streamer. I’d like to see it.

I totally understand the, convenience, location, multiroom reasons for adding streamers to a system. But in a situation where you can connect the usb socket of a nucleus / NUC to a decent USB dac, a streamer would be a waste of money, and there is zero (non anecdotal, non subjective) proof out there that having one “improves” sound quality. If you like subjective, I’ve tried and found sod all difference.

Also, using a raspberry pi as an endpoint, is literally just connecting a smaller PC to your dac instead of a larger one. Reason that one in your head if you will.

Like I said before. I remember now why I stopped taking active part in hifi forums. It’s full of people with funny ideas and mythical beliefs in improvements that don’t exist and can’t be proven by anyone apart from them and “their mates that came round for a demo one night”.

Electronics are not new, dacs and computers arent either. In 2019 we are sufficiently good at all of them to not have it be this difficult.

Also, how many people spending thousands on cables or streamers bothered to spend any money on maybe they biggest and most troublesome component in their entire system… the room!

I said if before and I should have let it lie, but you’ll hear no more from me on this topic on this forum.

6 Likes

I’m still working on my understanding of digital audio. Am I to infer from this statement that the term Roon Ready is used for streamers and Roon Tested is used to denote DACs, or am reading too much into it?

Seems Roon’s official terminology is ‘Roon Ready network players’ which has been referred to here as streamers. They may or may not be DACs, but could also just be transports. Roon Tested means it’s been tested by and is known to work with Roon. I imagine a “streamer” could qualify as Roon Tested too if they didn’t opt for the Roon Ready program.

Here’s an example of what I’d term a Roon Ready DAC:

1 Like

https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

:rofl:

I’ve made the same vow, but have never been able to let things pass.:smirk:

Let’s see how you do.

4 Likes

But let’s not forget the always present spouse, who is not interested in music or equipment and rarely pays attention to any of this audio stuff, yet they drop what they are doing, come from another room and ask ‘What have you changed in the stereo? It sounds so much better now.’

5 Likes

I’m sure that’s proof.

1 Like

I’m using Moon MiND2 Network Streamer via ethernet in 2 different locations connected to Schiit Yggrasil Analog2 DAC’s (I have also streamer connected to Moon 430 HAD), and Trinnov Altitude32 in my main room.

Nice. Did you upgrade from the first gen Yggy or buy Gen2 from the outset? Been considering an upgrade to the Analog 2 board, but haven’t read much re whether it’s a worthwhile upgrade vs looking at something different.

Upgraded, and very happy with the upgrade.

Could you elaborate a little on the improvements?

More detailed on the entire frequency range. I’m running my system fully balanced, have not heard it unbalanced.

1 Like

I have an extra set of 1m Transparent Audio Super cables I am no longer using as my setup is now all balanced. I can let them go for $250, original cost was about $800. PM me if you are interested.

I assume that in this context your definition of a streamer is an integrated streamer/DAC such as those offered by the likes of Linn, Naim, and not to separate streamer/renderer units such as those offered by the likes of Sonore and others.

I for one don’t believe that streamers are mystically better or even necessarily plain better than direct USB DACS. The component that makes the big difference for me in any digital source is the DAC, and integrated streamers incorporate DACs that may or may not sound better than individual stand alone USB equivalents.

However, there are advantages to the use of streamers in certain contexts. For example, I have a single storage unit for my local music library, and I wish to play music from this local library in a number of locations and systems in my house. I can do this easily by ‘streaming’ music over ethernet to each of my systems. Roon provides a great deal of functionality, including the ability to easily access Internet radio stations, and to obtain integrated access to external high quality streaming services such as Qobus or Tidal. However, if I wasn’t using Roon, then integrated streaming devices such as those offered by Linn, Naim, Auralic or countless others at both lower and higher price points would also offer easy access (without challenging network complications) to Internet radio stations and easy integration to the same external streaming services.

It’s not always about ultimate sound quality for most people out there, and there are many who do not subscribe to the benefits of Roon.

Integrated streamer/DACs can sound (in my experience) ‘better’, similar or ‘worse’ than stand-alone DACs at the same price point. It may well be the DAC component that makes by far the biggest difference, but the only way to determine which specific source device (integrated streamer/DAC or USB DAC) sounds best to you is to actually audition a number of devices.

Perhaps some people on this forum believe that all DACs sound the same and that it is consequently pointless to audition them. However, I am pretty sure that most people on the forum have heard DACs that sound ‘better’ or at least ‘different’ than others. In my book, anyone who claims that all DACs or all amplifiers sound ‘the same’ should visit their friendly local audiologist.

Incidentally, I use standard cat6 ethernet cabling (purchased from my local hardware shop for the princely cost of around £2 or £3 per metre if my memory serves me well) throughout my home network, and I have upgraded from ‘cheap’ consumer network switches (TP-Link) to second hand Cisco switches simply to gain access to additional ports that I need. I have not heard any SQ difference whatsoever between the TP-Link and Cisco switches. Indeed, I was so convinced that there could not possibly be a difference that I have not bothered to test this.

Thx, have also only ever used it balanced to a Phonitor 2 HPA and ATC SCA2 preamp.

Interestingly Stoddard opines that their new Unison board is better than SPDIF. Seeing as release is imminent I’ll hold off on Analog 2 until Unison can be installed at the same time.

Dear DJM,

I run a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ with my Roon Nucleus with internal 1TB SSD. The Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ is connected to the Nucleus by a USB cable and feeds my Musical Fidelity integrated amplifier (or could go to a pre-amp) for 2 channel listening, my Denon AVR for surround sound and my Oppo HA 1 Headphone Amp for headphone listening.

The Brookly DAC+ (https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn/) is a great piece of kit allowing DSD, MQA and 5.1 surround sound from Tidal through Roon and my DSD and FLAC library.

Cheers

Don’t miss the hidden benefit of the Rpi …

Roon does not support DNLA, only RAAT it’s own protocol

So with a Cambridge Audio CXN, I was stuck with AirPlay or not use Roon , RPi and riopeee overcomes that without spending a fortune on a streamer

The Cambridge Audio CXN is a case in point , it’s a mix of streamer, preamp and DAC

It’s gives access to internet radio, Spotify and Tidal , as well as digital and USB class 2 inputs

It’s a computer yes but a hi fi component first and foremost , it’s silent audibly and as far as I can tell electronically

They have recently significantly updated their remote software which was weak link , but with DNLA support there is no shortage of really slick remote apps

Alas no support for RAAT, even the V2 supports Chromecast but not to hi res

It’s as ever horses for courses, I still use mine for DNLA (JRiver) where I get better box set handling than in Roon

So yes there is a place for streamers as opposed to simple bridge RPi and the like

Rant over

1 Like

Yeah I was very clear to suggest that I definitely think there’s a place for them. But it should be one of practical nature (which yours is).