Adding Airplay/Shairport to RPi Bridge

I’m using Debian 8.0 / jessie although I’d checkout Volumio and its like to see if they have Roon Bridge support which might be a far more user friendly option vs rolling your own.

Hmm. Ok. Yea I’m coming from Volumio so I put Bridge on it last night and today I setup DietPi + Allo Gui running my Digi+Pro and have Shairport going as well. Diet Pi works better than Bridge on Volumio especially with DSD. The image from Hifiberry is best since its is much cleaner and simpler since it is Rune Ready but it doesn’t have Airplay/Shairport capabilities. 14 days of trial isn’t enough time to test everything out.

How did your Roon Bridge/Shairport system project go? I’m eager to start a similar design/build.

Worked fine using DietPi - installed both Roon Bridge and Shairport. It’s a while ago now - I’m changed plans - sold the Sonos kit and bought some Bluesound kit - this can accept Bluetooth from phone so no need for Airplay any longer. Only problem I remember having was that, if Airplay was playing, Roon would say that it was busy. Fixed that with a setting in the Shairport config file which allows it to be interrupted if playing.

sorry to revive the topic - but.

just built and setup the airplay2 receiver, and I must say I’m really impressed - it’s quick and looks really nice.

I know my machine is in exclusive mode, but :wink: I still like to do the following:

• Use Roonbridge for music
  • Stream youtube/IINA/Infuse whatsoever from my mac, iPad or phone from time to time.

My ideas for solving this:

1. Combining both
  • ‘force’ roonbridge not to run in exclusive mode, acknowledging reducing sound mode
  1. Using some form of ‘toggle’ between the two
  • Ideal world this is going automatically, stopping roon play gives access to the sound card again
  1. Current situation
  • Right now I use a bash script to toggle one or the other, it’s simple but not that amazing (by enabling/disabling each service)

Hardware I’m dealing with:

• rpi 4
  • hifiberry dac plus

Is there a solution for option 1 or 2? Or am I stuck with 3 and will I find a hardware option (using the Pi’s serial interface for instance)